6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2012 7:54 AM by BeatriceBeaubien

8.5 and Lion

dloughlin

I've read on the net that 8.5 can be used with Lion, but I just received a call from a client of mine that the installer would not open. Unfortuantely, I'm not well versed in the Mac area (more so with windows). Can it be installed on Lion (10.7)?

• 1. Re: 8.5 and Lion
          psijmons

I have it wokring on 10.7 but it was already installed when I updated the OS, so I cannot confirm the installer.

• 2. Re: 8.5 and Lion
            karendweaver

Officially FileMaker Pro 9 and earlier are NOT compatible and are NOT supported on Lion.

Even if you can get it to run, you are asking for unexpected results.  As one example, Excel exports in 9 and earlier require Rosetta. Lion doesn't support Rosetta, so those exports will not work.  There have been other "unofficial" reported problems.  Unless your data is just not important, I wouldn't take that chance.

While 8.5 is too old to upgrade, there is a special upgrade price for FM9 that expires the end of September.  I encourage upgrading asap.  If you don't want to go all the way to 12, at least take the software to 11 (buy a 12 license & downgrade) so that you are compatible.

Karen

• 3. Re: 8.5 and Lion
              psijmons

Good point Karen,

Rosetta issue already dropped from my radar.

• 4. Re: 8.5 and Lion
                dloughlin

That being the case, the issue gets further muddled if you upgrade. For example, if you have 20 client computers (macs and windows), all running FMPro 8.5, and the DB is FMServer 8. Five of the macs are replaced and the new macs are Lion. Am I correct, in that I could only put a version of FMPro up to version 11 on the new macs, and still have everything intact, or said another way, FMPro 11 can interact with a DB served by FMServer 8, but FMPro 12 cannot?

• 5. Re: 8.5 and Lion
                  karendweaver

No, it's the other way round.  You should upgrade your server to FMS11 and then the fm8 clients can be served.

But I do not recommend you split your licenses this way!  Again, FM8.5 is no longer supported by FM.  You are going to have trouble being consistent in not using any FM 11 features that will be incompatible with the FM 8.5 machines.  This is a support nightmare.  Also, depending on how old the other macs are, you may have issues upgrading them.

This is a good example of what can happen when you do not keep current on mission- critical systems.  It can end up costing you more and puts your data at risk. 

If you have 20 clients & a server, you should be on some kind of VLA program, anyway.  Check out the Annual Volume License (AVLA) option.  It is very affordable & may be the answer.  But first, make sure all 20 Macs can run FM 11.  Are they at least all intel machines?  I hope!

• 6. Re: 8.5 and Lion
                    BeatriceBeaubien

Hello dloughliin,

I have no issues with my clients accessing FMS8-served files with FMP11 (clients running Windows XP SP3 and Mac OS X Snow Leopard and Lion).

Best wishes,

Beatrice Beaubien, PhD

i2eye, Toronto, Canada

FileMaker Business Alliance

FileMaker 12 Certified Developer

Knowledge Translation Certified Professional

On Aug 21, 2012, at 7:22, dloughlin wrote

created by dloughlin in General - View the full discussion

That being the case, the issue gets further muddled if you upgrade. For example, if you have 20 client computers (macs and windows), all running FMPro 8.5, and the DB is FMServer 8. Five of the macs are replaced and the new macs are Lion. Am I correct, in that I could only put a version of FMPro up to version 11 on the new macs, and still have everything intact, or said another way, FMPro 11 can interact with a DB served by FMServer 8?