3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 23, 2012 8:29 PM by MarcDolley

Print text in a field not seen in browse mode

jlwayne

I have a field, "Description," that may contain 2-3 lines of text. However, in browse mode the text field is only tall enough for one line of text. I don't want to make the field taller, but I want all text to print...

Is this doable?

• 1. Re: Print text in a field not seen in browse mode
          Mike_Mitchell

Hello, jlwayne.

About the only way to meet those requirements would be to shrink the text. You can either do it pre-emptively (i.e., as part of the field's formatting on the layout), or using Conditional Formatting to detect the length of the field and shrink the text in response to its contents.

I'm assuming, of course, that you have no horizontal space to expand into. If you do, you could use that and then tell the field to slide left on printing.

HTH

Mike

• 2. Re: Print text in a field not seen in browse mode
            comment

jlwayne wrote:

I don't want to make the field taller, but I want all text to print...

Is this doable?

Why not have a dedicated layout for printing - where the field would be as tall as required and set to shrink?

• 3. Re: Print text in a field not seen in browse mode
              MarcDolley

Yep. What Michael said. Generally layouts fall into two categories. Data Entry layouts which look like rubbish when printed, but look good on screen and Print layouts which are generally bland and fit within the confines of a piece of paper. Create a print-friendly version of your layout and a simple script to switch to it, print and go back.

Regards

Marc