DaleLong

FileMaker integration with Drupal website via web services

Discussion created by DaleLong on Aug 23, 2012
Latest reply on Aug 24, 2012 by DaleLong

Hello,

Our facility is currently looking at having a shiny new Drupal site rolled out, probably in the next several months. We require 2-way synchronization with many parts of the Drupal system to our internal production database, which is in FileMaker. The IT consultant/developer group, who specializes in Drupal, say that the best approach would be to use Web Services. It sounds like they are putting a good deal of the weight on us (read: me) to handle the FileMaker aspect of Web Services, and this is leaving me feeling lost. I have been developing in FileMaker on a part time basis over the past 6 or 7 years, and have acquired a decent amount of ability within the platform. However, I'm having a difficult time knowing where to get my information from for this integration project, because while I know a good bit about FileMaker, I know zero about Drupal and Web Services. In a number of google searches, I've found references to people doing such things, and have come across several plugins that have some sort of 'web services' in them, but I keep getting the feeling that I'm supposed to know Web Services in and out before I can do anything with them. Does anybody have any information that can set me on a path to understand exactly what I'm supposed to do in FileMaker to accommodate this synch strategy, or if it's even the way to go? I realize this may be a very vague inquiry, but it is because I don't even think I know the precise questions to ask at this point. Any direction or insight would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

Outcomes