6 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2012 12:10 PM by karendweaver

Problem with repeating field that are containers

jon_n_davidson

While converting one of my fmp11 files into fmp12 I discovered a problem (bug) with repeating fields that are container fields.

In fmp 11 I have set up a repeating field with 12 repetitions that are container fields.

I use these containers to store copies of leases/letters/stuff I file away in pdf format. All woked great

in fmp 12 all only works well with only 1 pdf in a field. Additionally, when I move from layout mode to browse mode I only see one repetition not multiple repetitions. Not only do I only see 1 repetition, but I can only access 1 repetition.

Perhaps I'm doing something wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Problem with repeating field that are containers
          karendweaver

I am not seeing this issue with a similar converted file.  All repeating containers display correctly.  Couple of things to check:

1.  Container directory settings in the File/Manage/Containers dialog

2.  Container settings on the field

3.  Display settings on the layout - these are pdfs?  Are they set to display optimized for picture or interactive?  Are they multiple page pdfs?  How old are the documents?  Are they Acrobat 7 compatible?

Try exporting the pdfs from the original file and reimporting them into the new file.  There is a new script step for Insert PDF - that may also help.

Karen

• 2. Re: Problem with repeating field that are containers
            jon_n_davidson

Hey Karen,

Thanks for your thoughts. I checked out all your ideas, nothing helped.  Directory setting is corrent in Fil/manage/container dialog.

Setting on the field is for 6 repetitions. Set for interactive.   Yes, these are pdf files.  They are old and new.  They are set to desplay as interactive.

Only One pdf will display.  

In layout mode you can see all 6 repeating container fields.  In browse mode you only see ONE field.  That one field will return the pdf if Preview when right clicked or double clicked.

I added a script step using the insert pdf step as you suggested.  That only takes me to the location I want, it saves a little time, not much, but doesn't resolve my problem.

I'm thinking that the way this is NOT WORKING that repetitive container fields may not be functional or permitted in fmp12.  If so, it's going to require a lot of work to fix old files that have used the repetitive feature.

I gave it one last shot.  I created a new database with one field and one table.

field was a container field with 6 repetitions.

Looked fine in layout mode.  In browse mode you can only see 1 pdf.  If I insert another pdf it overwrites the 1st pdf.

Try it.

• 3. Re: Problem with repeating field that are containers
              karendweaver

Interesting.  I don't have time to test today, but I believe you!  My repeating field are optimized for images.  Thinking that might be the issue.

One more question:  what happens if you "disconnect" the repeats?  That is, set the field to only display one repetition in the Inspector, duplicate the field on the layout, and show a different repetition for each copy.  I am wondering if this is a limitation of the interactive format.

Karen

Sent from my iPad

• 4. Re: Problem with repeating field that are containers
                jon_n_davidson

Karen,

I don't know how to show the 2nd or 3rd or 4th repeating field since in browse mode you can only see one field.

Jon Davidson

Windmill Associates

315 655 3027

jond@windmillcourts.com

http://www.windmillcourts.com

• 5. Re: Problem with repeating field that are containers
                  jon_n_davidson

I've attached a new Test fmp12 file with only 1 field ( a repeating container field).

Check it out.

Jon Davidson

Windmill Associates

315 655 3027

jond@windmillcourts.com

http://www.windmillcourts.com

• 6. Re: Problem with repeating field that are containers
                    karendweaver

No file was attached, but here is a sample file showing what I mean.  You set the number of repetitions in the Inspector, on the data tab.

As you can see - when you have interactive selected, the pdfs are not viewable.  You can see them all if you set the container for images.  However, if you display only one repetition at a time as interactive, they are all available. 

I don't believe this is a bug - I believe it is a limitation of the acrobat pdf viewer for interactive containers.  But it is easy to deal with by displaying individual repetitions instead of all in a join..