2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 24, 2012 3:27 PM by MarkB

Appears Print Setup has amnesia

MarkB

Hi All,

I vaguely remember reading about problems like this a while ago but don't remember the solution. I'm working on a Windows XP running FMP11. The application is a basic Point of Sale. The Default printer is an Epson receipt printer so when a sale is made, the receipt prints to that printer. At the end of the day, they need to print a Batch report that prints on a different (HP LaserJet) printer that is shared on another PC. I can manually go to Print Setup and choose either printer and print reports to the selected printer. However, in my Batch Print script, I have tried to use the Print Setup script step to select the HP printer, print the report, then use another Print Setup script step to set the printer back to the Epson. While watching the Get (PrinterName) in the Data Viewer, and also seeing the printing result, the script steps don't seem to change the printer destination. When editing the scripts, I will set one Print Setup to the HP, move down the script and set the 2nd Print Setup to the Epson. When going back to the 1st Print Setup, it displays the Epson. It seems that a script will only remember one printer regardless how many times the Print Setup is used.

To remidy this (what I vaguely remember) I have set up 2 different scripts; one to select the HP and another to set the Epson. The Batch report scipt then calls the appropriate script. This still doesn't work. I can go into one script and select the HP. Close and save that script, open the 2nd script and set it to the Epson. When going back to the 1st (HP) script, the Print Setup script step shows the Epson instead of the HP.

So, my question ... How can I have a script print to a different printer than the default, and then set the printer back to the default? Is this a Bonjour problem?

Sorry for the long winded question.

Regards, Mark

• 1. Re: Appears Print Setup has amnesia
          cooldan

I don't know if this will apply, but I had a problem with Print setup in script not remembering a selection in Layout (Reverse page orientation).

The problem I found was connected with an Adobe PDFPDE700 that is no longer compatable with MAC Lion & FMP 12.

I don't know if it would be the same in Windows.

It appears that upgrading to FMP 12 with Adobe Acrobat 7 (never upgraded to Intel savy version) still installed on my Mac caused the driver to be corrupted.

I solved it by going back to a FMP 11 file prior to MAC Lion upgrade. First removing all Adobe files, then upgrading to FMP 12.

Make sure all data has been exported to a file to save it. I think you could also import the data from the incorrectly working FMP 12 file.

It took me 6 weeks to find this solution & I found nothing on the web about this possible corruption.

good luck

Dan

• 2. Re: Appears Print Setup has amnesia
            MarkB

Thanks Dan,

The POS PC is "bare bones" in that it doesn't have any other software installed, especially Adobe stuff.  I found an old (FMP9) bug that said FIlemaker didn't recognize any printer name longer than 30 characters.  That bug was supposed to be fixed in version 10.  The length of the HP printer name was longer than 30 characters since it was a networked printer.  I changed it to a shorter name but the problem still exists.  On Monday I think I will conclude that Filemaker can't print to 2 different printers in the same script on a Windows PC, especially if one is networked and the other is not.  So I will have to change my Batch reports to fit on the 80mm wide format instead of letter size.  

Thanks anyway, Mark