3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 27, 2012 5:19 AM by gdurniak

FileMaker 6.0 related Value List

Nighthawk

hi everybody...

still working with the delicate solution in fm 6... and while part of it is already converted to fm 11... work continues in the old database...

so here is my query:

in the orderfile you have the contact data of the customer, nothing unusual about that... as 1 customer can have many contacts that can place the order...there is a related file called customer contacts and it is out of this file i would like to generate a value list of the customer related contacts...

this customer contact file would be considered 2 files away... even though it is linked directly via a fk_contactID and pk_contactID to the orderfile... it shows an empty list... which makes sense to me, because the relevant customerID is not part of the relation and as i understand we could not have multiple criteria keys i.e. relationships in filemaker 6.0 and there was no data tunneling possible at this time...

does anybody know of this problem and has a solution or workaround for this.. or am i missing a point..? there is probably a simple way of fixing this...

please note that all files related to this matter are in version 6.0 - hence some of the functionality of later versions are not available!

as always all the help is much appreciated... happy filemaking

jurgen

• 1. Re: FileMaker 6.0 related Value List
          gdurniak

add  contactID as an unstored calc in the problem file

then use that to add a relation back to contacts

greg

> this customer contact file would be considered 2 files away... even though it is linked directly via a fk_contactID and pk_contactID to the orderfile

• 2. Re: FileMaker 6.0 related Value List
            Nighthawk

hi greg...

the relation back to the contact file works just fine... going over to the customer file to pick up the ID and filling it in manually results in the contact being displayed...

however - it is the NOT populating valuelist that is given me a headache...

jurgen

• 3. Re: FileMaker 6.0 related Value List
              gdurniak

debugging value lists based on a relation hasn't changed that much

show the values in a portal, so you can play with the Key fields

perhaps the key fields are not the same Type,  or have a trailing space ( if text ), or are not indexed

it's usually something dumb

greg

> the relation back to the contact file works just fine