4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 29, 2012 4:24 AM by Mike_Mitchell

Replacement for OLE (Object Linking and Embedding)

jerrysalem

I know it wasn't used much, also it was a PC only technology, however....

If OLE happened to solve a problem you had, then it was magical.

That said, I have a database that stored word documents as OLE objects.

When the users wanted to view or edit a document, they just double clicked on the container and it opened in Word.

When they were done, just close the document and it saves back into the database.

They have converted to 12 and long for this functionality again.

Any suggestions?

What are the other 3 of you that used OLE doing now that this was depricated in 12?

Jerry

• 1. Re: Replacement for OLE (Object Linking and Embedding)
          Mike_Mitchell

I haven't tried this with Word documents (only with PDFs), but how about Export Field Contents (to a temp directory) with Automatically Open?

Mike

Edit: Of course, this won't do the save changes thing, but ... it helps.

• 2. Re: Replacement for OLE (Object Linking and Embedding)
            jerrysalem

Mike

This was my first thoguht too.

But in my exerience a couple of things will happen.

1) Users don't know what a temp directory is.  They will simply hit save, and the document will be gone.  Worse, they won't realize it untill they re open the database and notice the changes are not there.

2) You could instead save it somewhere else, like the desktop, but that will just lead to a polluted desktop.

3) The real problem is these users have been using this for more than Five years.  They will never consistantly remember to save and re insert the document, no matter where it is saved.

Anyone tried using Word360 or google docs?  would that be an appropriate solution?

What about an events, DDE Execute?  Is this something that I could explore?

TIA

Jerry

• 3. Re: Replacement for OLE (Object Linking and Embedding)
              wimdecorte

jerrysalem wrote:

What about an events, DDE Execute?  Is this something that I could explore?

Forget about DDE,  it's even older than OLE.  Cloud based documents is probably going to be your best bet.  Or a well-thought out workflow that doesn't give the users much leeway or opportunity to leave the files outside of FM once exported and edited.  But that is going to be a big change in behavior for those users.

• 4. Re: Replacement for OLE (Object Linking and Embedding)
                Mike_Mitchell

Another possibility would depend on whether you can control the directories where the documents are shared. I have an associate who uses tight control over pathnames to use old-style Store as Reference containers to allow users to edit documents. He sets permissions on the shared directories to allow users appropriate accesses to the directories and then sets the pathnames in fields in the database, using Open URL to point back to the assets.

Just another idea.

Mike