4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2012 1:52 PM by mardikennedy

PDFs in Container fields (v12) - only 50 at a time?

mardikennedy

Hi All,

I've searched the archives and documentation but it's very possible I've missed earlier discussions. Apologies in advance.

Query:

I have a v12 file with a container field for storing PDFs. Currently the file is local as this client does not have a v12 server. The PDFs have been embedded, ie not referenced externally. The field is flagged as interactive.

It's still a tiny file - only 108 records so far.

While in Form view, I was flicking through the records and when I got to record 50, the following message displays, "The maximum number of files are already open. No other files can be opened or printed until some are closed. This is followed by an address on the C:// drive. The little window displaying the message is named 'Adobe Reader'.

In this context where the pdfs are 'opening' in the background, I don't know how to close them. As a workaround, I've just been quitting out and rebooting. (This works.) There must be a better way, methinks?

Also, is this a restriction with v12 container fields? Does it pertain to any other file types? (I haven't started testing/ experimenting yet.) Should I be doing this a 'better' way?

All the best,

Mardi Kennedy

• 1. Re: PDFs in Container fields (v12) - only 50 at a time?
          mardikennedy

Any words of wisdom yet?

Cheers, Mardi

Hi All,

I've searched the archives and documentation but it's very possible I've missed earlier discussions.  Apologies in advance.

Query:

I have a v12 file with a container field for storing PDFs.  Currently the file is local as this client does not have a v12 server.  The PDFs have been embedded, ie not referenced externally.  The field is flagged as interactive.

It's still a tiny file - only 108 records so far.

While in Form view, I was flicking through the records and when I got to record 50, the following message displays, "The maximum number of files are already open.  No other files can be opened or printed until some are closed. This is followed by an address on the C:// drive.  The little window displaying the message is named 'Adobe Reader'.

In this context where the pdfs are 'opening' in the background, I don't know how to close them.  As a workaround, I've just been quitting out and rebooting.  (This works.)  There must be a better way, methinks?

Also, is this a restriction with v12 container fields?  Does it pertain to any other file types?  (I haven't started testing/ experimenting yet.)  Should I be doing this a 'better' way?

All the best,

Mardi Kennedy

• 2. Re: PDFs in Container fields (v12) - only 50 at a time?
            OllyGroves

Maybe something to do with what I mentioned about file being locked by OS reports here

https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/96236#96236

I saw a tweet about similar from someone when 12.2 came out (can't remember who), prob worth a post to support forum/email to Filemaker to get some official response.

Be interested if to hear back if you do.

• 3. Re: PDFs in Container fields (v12) - only 50 at a time?
              MartinCrosman

I think this has something to do the number of files that can be opened by the plug in handling the opening of the pdfs. I have encountered this when opening files in Acrobat and there was a setting for this. I don't think that will help you to go beyond the 50. I recall reading somewhere that turning of the generate thumbnails in Manage Container stops this. I just tried it here as I was getting the same message and this did the trick.

Hope that helps

Martin

• 4. Re: PDFs in Container fields (v12) - only 50 at a time?
                mardikennedy

Aaah!  Sounds like the extra bit that I needed to know.  I won't get back to that site until next week to check, but if it doesn't work, I'll be surprised.

BTW, thank you Martin for your well-written and informative newsletters - I really enjoy reading them.

Regards,

Mardi