3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 2, 2012 4:29 PM by cortical

Mysterious error in FM Pro / Server 12

ResoluteSystems

For several years I've worked on a fairly extensive database that's hosted on customers' computers, usually for up to about a dozen users each. One of the things this database does is to add and delete records in an external internet resident database. This runs on FM Server Advanced and is shared amongst all the users with record level access controls. Deleting remote records is a scripted process in which FM Server isolates a user's related record, then runs a Delete Record script in the internet resident shared file.

This has been running perfectly well in FM Pro 8, 9, 10 and 11 with FM Server 8 Advanced. Having ugraded to Pro 12 and Server 12 Advanced, the record deletion fails every time. As Perform Script in the customer's database calls the Delete Record script in the internet resident database, the debugger reports Error 3 - Command not available, due to wrong OS, wrong mode etc.

I haven't been able to find an explanation for this oddity. Anyone got any ideas?

Colin

• 1. Re: Mysterious error in FM Pro / Server 12
          cortical

put a test in for a start to evaluate platform and mode, and see what you get. Has the remote hoster changed platforms for their FMS12? 

• 2. Re: Mysterious error in FM Pro / Server 12
            ResoluteSystems

Unfortunately that isn't a straightforward as it sounds. To ensure that a simple Get Host Application Version test is evaluated in the remote hosted database and not in the customer's client, I have tried to run it as a script in the remote database, called from the customer's database. That fails for the same reason that calling the delete record script fails - error 3 again.

Colin

• 3. Re: Mysterious error in FM Pro / Server 12
              cortical

Maybe  I would try a simple new table and schedule to run a simple script to delete record, and log to a text field the step through result. If it is only a couple of steps ( delete) then this would establish delete is capable of running, and then it is maybe a privilege issue...  i.e. building block start form absolute basic and build up; when all else is not being co-operative. Deconstruction and recreation, rebuild the process step by step to see where failure point is.