12 Replies Latest reply on Aug 31, 2012 1:02 PM by jayankurian

How to create an External storage base directory/path?

jayankurian

Hi all,

I am trying to create a base directory to address Filemaker to view my externaly stored images files.

I followed the instuctions furnished in Filemaker HELP to create the base folder...

No sure what I am doing wrong which prevents me to create a base folder.

My actural external file location path is \KCH-RADSERVERSCANS.

SCANS folder is a shared folder which contains hundred of scanned documents (JPEGs and TIFs)

Filemaker database is located on a Server, and I am using Filemaker Pro Advanced 12.0 v2

Please see the attched powerpoint file for details.

Any help will appreciate....

Thank you all.

Jayan

• 1. Re: How to create an External storage base directory/path?
          Stephen Huston

If the file is being hosted by FMServer, using Secure External storage lets the system set its own  base directory system. There is no advantage to using Open storage on a FMServer system, as no users should ever be allowed OS-level access to the container storage directories on the server anyway.

• 2. Re: How to create an External storage base directory/path?
            jayankurian

Thanks for immediate reply.

I am still not sure HOW TO CREATE A BASE FOLDER/DIRECTORY...

What you meant by Secure External storage? Is it the feature of preventing all users OS level access to the base folder(image folder)? My image folder located on a different server and none of the users have OS level access to that folder. Also, I can move my image folder from the other server to the FMServer, if that help me to set up the base folder easily.

Also I am not planning to use Open storage,

My container field option Storage(tab)

Container

Store container data externally

relative to: [hosted location]/Files/Master Plan

I am not getting an option to modify "[hosted location]/Files/Master Plan" also, unable to add a folder path.

I am guessing, this is the place I should add or modify the base folder......

Please correct me if I am wrong....

Any video instruction available in the web for base folder setup????

Thank you....

• 3. Re: How to create an External storage base directory/path?
              tech_liaison

Hello: You may want to check out the DevCon 2012 preview webinar, Container Field: Under the Hood. There's a container field tech. brief available as well. Also, you are trying to edit base directories in the wrong dialog, you need to choose the menu, File > Manage > Containers. HTH.

Best,

Dave

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: How to create an External storage base directory/path?
                Stephen Huston

You've clarified that you are wanting to use External container storage, but not Open storage. That leaves Secure External storage on the server.

It is my understanding that  changing the default location for Secure External storage on the server is not allowed.

The links Dave Simerly provided above should cover that information.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: How to create an External storage base directory/path?
                  DrewTenenholz

Jayan --

In addition to the resources Dave mentioned, my impression is that you are not going to be able to do what you want using container fields as 'managed' storage.  Unless
                  KCH-RADSERVER\ is a physically connected drive/share to your FMServer, you will have to use another method for dealing with container data.

It is certainly possible to have the external files on a different machine.  One method would be to create a text field (possibly calculated) with the full path to the external file, and another calculated field of type 'container' that is unstored which is set to the text field.  That will be enough for users who are looking at the container field to allow FMPro to display at least some version of the contents.  In this situation FMPro (by itself) will not be able to help you upload the files to that external location, it is simply not something FileMaker Pro (alone) can do.

Many, including myself, have used the Troi-File plugin to achieve this sort of functionality (especially prior to FM12), and SuperContainer is another method to achieve the same result.  Both products allow you to copy files to specified locations and interact with the files stored there.  But, these are roll-you-own methods (with help from the sample files and forums).

There are several reasons for this, but the most obvious is that the FMServer scheduled backups make copies of your .fmp12 files AND the contents of managed container fields.  Because of the way the backup happens (hard links), the managed container fields must be located on a drive physically connected to the machine running FMServer.

-- Drew Tenenholz

P.S.  It's a stretch, but if your scans on the RADSERVER are medical data (Radiology scans, perhaps?), then you may want to think about using the managed storage containers with the secure check box.  This option encrypts the external file before writing it to the disk, and only FMPro/FMServer can decrypt/display it.  But, you'll have to accept that all of the files will be moved to a drive on your FMServer machine.  Check the tech 'brief' (49 pages!!).

• 6. Re: How to create an External storage base directory/path?
                    jayankurian

Thank you  Dave. Now I understood better.

• 7. Re: How to create an External storage base directory/path?
                      jayankurian

Thank you Steven.

I was able to transfer my container field data to some location in my Server and I believe that is the Secure External storage you are referring to.

Now, my question is, how do I view the stored files(transferred) physically(i mean using windows navigation)?

Thanks again for your help.

• 8. Re: How to create an External storage base directory/path?
                        Stephen Huston

No user, including you, should poke into the external storage area on the server via the OS interface. Doing so can result if "tampered data" which can keep your file from working properly. This is why it is called managed Secure storage. To keep it safe, just leave it alone.

If you must see it, be aware that FM12  create code-named sub-directories in which to stash the storage so that no single directory will exceed a certain number of container items, so it won't slow the OS, and the files within those directories are intentionally given encoded names so you can't tell which is which. This is intentional as part of making it secure.

Don't use Windows OS-level navigation to open that area of the server.

• 9. Re: How to create an External storage base directory/path?
                          jayankurian

Thank you for the warning. Now I understood why I wasn't able to see the secured folder..

Thanks again.. You were very helpful

• 10. Re: How to create an External storage base directory/path?
                            jayankurian

Thank you for directing me to the right direction (Devcon presentation as well as container field documentation).

Very helpful information...

THANK YOU.....