6 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2017 10:16 AM by beverly

Anyone having problem with Lesson 3.6 of FTS 12?

The material has been great up to this lesson, but in the version I downloaded this lesson seems to have a mix of two different databases, vehicles and contacts, and the relationship created in the lesson does not work for me. I downloaded FTS_12.0.1_English on July 20, so I would think it would be the most recent?

• 1. Re: Anyone having problem with Lesson 3.6 of FTS 12?
          beverly

tommyal,

1) Yes, the Figure 3.6.1 shows "CUSTOMER" (this is just an example of the relationship graph, it should not apply directly to the lesson/example db).

2) and Example 3.6.1 has this para:

===

Click the Add a Table button at the lower left (the furthest left button with a single green “+”). In the Specify Table dialog, choose the Vehicle table. In the field labeled Name, enter “person_VEHICLE”. You may be wondering why you appear to need to give the Contact table an additional name. This is explained more completely in Lesson 3.7. That lesson also explains what it means that this is the second time the Vehicle table appears in the Relationships Graph.

===

The sentence "You may be wondering why you appear to need to give the Contact table an additional name." is confusing to me, too.

You are making another table occurrence of "Vehicle" and naming it "person_VEHICLE".

3) and this "Figure 3.6.7" shows "CUSTOMER" and customer_CONTACT. This is also another example of the Edit Relationship dialog. It does not apply directly to the lesson and the "03a_VehicleTracking.fmp12" database.

I didn't write these lessons, but am merely pointing out what I think you found confusing. If you find other "inconsistencies" in the lessons see if you can take the examples as "examples" and not necessarily "literals". Come back to the list if needed.

HTH,

Beverly

p.s. I'm an author and a tech-editor, so know that these "uh-oh's" can happen no matter how many people proof the copy.

The material has been great up to this lesson, but in the version I downloaded this lesson seems to have a mix of two different databases, vehicles and contacts, and the relationship created in the lesson does not work for me.  I downloaded FTS_12.0.1_English on July 20, so I would think it would be the most recent?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Anyone having problem with Lesson 3.6 of FTS 12?

Thanks, I understand what you are saying, but Example 3.6.3 says

1. The Edit Relationship dialog should appear as shown in Figure 3.6.7.

which in my version shows the figure

but I guess it could be exemplar rather than literal.

I ran into the problem of not understanding until later that you cannot enter the vehicleID because it is auto-assigned and not-modifiable.  I figured this out, but until then, I had trouble understanding why it kept saying that field is not modifiable.  I finally figured out the other fields can be entered, and then it will auto-generate the VehicleID number.

It could be more clear, but I figured it out after a little while.

• 3. Re: Anyone having problem with Lesson 3.6 of FTS 12?
              beverly

Yes, tommyal, that was unfortunate wording: "should appear as shown", does NOT match the tables for the example you are asked to study. "exemplar" not "literal"!

VehicleID is only auto-enter and not modifiable in the Vehicle table. PersonID is also auto-enter and not modifiable in the Person table. The exercise is meant to JOIN these two tables by creating the new table occurrence, "person_VEHICLE" after adding the foreign key "PersonID_fk" in the Vehicle table and placing the new table (alias) on the graph (as in Figure 3.6.3). But it sounds like you figured it out!!

One thing that might help you is that all example files for you to work on are in the "Module 03 Exercise Files" and the finished databases can be viewed in the "Module 03 Solution Files". If you're not sure what's to be done look at the finished databases.

Again, I agree that the figures aren't matching the assignment text at all times and could be more clear! Don't hesitate to come back to the list and ask if you need more explanations on the FTS 12!

Perhaps the authors and/or FMI could post a forum topic here just for the FTS and also post any errata that might help clear the confusion!

Beverly

• 4. Re: Anyone having problem with Lesson 3.6 of FTS 12?

Thanks Beverly, I indeed overlooked the solutions folder and I will look at that too.  What you wrote is better than the lesson, sounds like you would do well at this.

Appreciate your help.

• 5. Re: Anyone having problem with Lesson 3.6 of FTS 12?
                  jiang_aq

Where you downloaded sample file?

• 6. Re: Anyone having problem with Lesson 3.6 of FTS 12?
                    beverly

The sample files are part of the FileMaker Training Series (FTS). There are two versions:

• Basic (free)

• Advanced (free to forum Subscriber members)

see this link for more information:

beverly

1 of 1 people found this helpful