1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2012 5:48 AM by gdurniak

Access Privileges Damaged...on backup

jbrown

Hey all,

I have a weird situation. I got a backup of my hosted filed, which I can access remotely. But when I open the backup, it gives me that, based on what I read, dreaded message saying the access privileges have been damaged.

What's going on? I can open it remotely, but not when i try to open the backup....

My heart is fluttering 100 bps. Any ideas would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: Access Privileges Damaged...on backup
          wimdecorte

Jeremy Brown wrote:

What's going on? I can open it remotely, but not when i try to open the backup....

Not sure what you mean by this?  Can you open your backup remotely?  If so, you should not be able to do that.

What you are seeing is typically caused by some external process touching the live files or the backup locations (volume snaphsots, virus scanning, external backups, file sharing,...)

Set up a scheduled task to verify your hosted files and see what that reports...

• 2. Re: Access Privileges Damaged...on backup
            jbrown

I can open only the live database from the hosted site (not mine). When I download the file as a backup and open it, it tells me the access privileges are damaged. I can't open the local copy of my file, the backup.

What you're saying is something on the hosted file's end, on the server itself, is corrupting things.......

• 3. Re: Access Privileges Damaged...on backup
              RonSmithMD

I know this is probably a dud question, but you did close the files and shut down the server before you copied live files, or copied backups that weren't open?

Ron

Ron Smith, MD

Want to know more about me and my family? Take a look at the free ebook about my daughter below.

Forever And A Day For Laura Michelle

• 4. Re: Access Privileges Damaged...on backup
                jbrown

Its weird. I understand that's necessary when using FMSA. But the hosting site I'm using has its own control panel. I don't have direct access to my database. Instead I request a backup, and their site sends it to me as a zipped file.

I tried to shut it down via their control panel, make it inactive, then download it that way.

It stil shows that the access privileges have been changed, whatever...

Arg. I'm not sure what to do. This hosting company isn't the most responsive to my needs.

thanks

• 5. Re: Access Privileges Damaged...on backup
                  RonSmithMD

Sounds like that is the culprit. I bet they are making directory file backups without closing the database. If they are not backing up the file using the FM Server and sending you copies of those, it is almost certainly unreliable at best and corrupted terribly at worst.

Ron

Ron Smith, MD

Want to know more about me and my family? Take a look at the free ebook about my daughter below.

• 6. Re: Access Privileges Damaged...on backup
                    jbrown

Here's an even weirder thing: i take that same file that says it can't open and i upload it to the server. In the site's control panel, I can open this file just fine. Its like my file is now somehow tied with theirs.

• 7. Re: Access Privileges Damaged...on backup
                      wimdecorte

Can you set up schedules on the hosted FMS box?  If so, set one up that does a verification on your files.  Can you access the FMS logs on the machine to check the results?

If not, see if you can change to a hosting plan that allows you to do that.

Also let them know that the download file is corrupt and make them acknowledge that they follow all FMS best practices especially around touching live files.

• 9. Re: Access Privileges Damaged...on backup
                        jbrown

I felt like i got somewhere yesterday with the provider. There is yet no solution to the issue.  I have all my data from the 87 tables and will attempt to rebuild it from a copy from a month ago. (Sigh).

I'll call FM tech support and even check out some 3rd party services.

Thanks for the input. I've learned that I need to really, as much as possible, control my own database.

• 10. Re: Access Privileges Damaged...on backup
                          gdurniak

that is odd

it might pay to contact your local FileMaker system engineer

keep in mind,  access privileges can get corrupt while a file is hosted, so once it shuts down, it might never re-open. That would explain your corrupt backup. But if it opens again on the server, that makes no sense. Is it tied to any other external file references ?

greg

> Here's an even weirder thing: i take that same file that says it can't open and i upload it to the server.

In the site's control panel, I can open this file just fine. Its like my file is now somehow tied with theirs.

• 11. Re: Access Privileges Damaged...on backup
                            s

Hi Jeremy,

Did this issue get resolved? I am having the exact same problem (I'll bet it's the same hosting provider - WC) except I am unable to get in touch with them. Their supposedly 24/7 online chat gets no response, all their phone extensions voice mailboxes are full, their ticketing system gets nothing except an automated response - wtf? I, too, will be looking into a local server...

But I'm curious to know if you have solved the issue?

--

Steve Moore

Cumberland, Maine

Hey all,

I have a weird situation. I got a backup of my hosted filed, which I can access remotely. But when I open the backup, it gives me that, based on what I read, dreaded message saying the access privileges have been damaged.

Jeremy Brown wrote:

I felt like i got somewhere yesterday with the provider. There is yet no solution to the issue.  I have all my data from the 87 tables and will attempt to rebuild it from a copy from a month ago. (Sigh).

I'll call FM tech support and even check out some 3rd party services.

Thanks for the input. I've learned that I need to really, as much as possible, control my own database.

• 12. Re: Access Privileges Damaged...on backup
                              jbrown

Hey Steve,

The database still won't open on the local machine using the client. It has to be on the server. Every once in awhile i have nightmares that it will crash, but all my backups will open up on the server. Not locally. I ended up switching to a host where i have direct access to FMServer so that I can test things out on my own.

I sent the file to Winifried Huslik and he's looking at it. I need to check in with him. It seems the problem is quite complicated.

• 13. Re: Access Privileges Damaged...on backup
                                s

Thanks for your reply, Jeremy. Please let us know what Winfried finds - he may be getting more business...

Do tell, which host did you switch to?

• 14. Re: Access Privileges Damaged...on backup
                                  RonSmithMD

Before you run the backup locally, did you check the permissions of the backups? If they are stil fmserver:fmsadmin, then you won't be able to open them locally.

Ron

Ron Smith, MD, 'The Pediatric Guide For Parents'

1 2 Previous Next