AnsweredAssumed Answered

Sorting limits

Question asked by plegler on Sep 2, 2012
Latest reply on Sep 3, 2012 by plegler

This is an issue I haven't dealt with in a long time. In older versions of FMP, there was a limit on how many characters of a field were used when sorting. As I recall, at one time it was 20. Is that still the case. In my current solution, I'm building a path (field) that shows where a records sits in a nested hierarchy. This allows me to sort, and have things appear in nested order. However, at the lower nesting levels the sort isn't working, and the path doesn't even show up. The path itself is being calculated correctly (auto enter calculation, replace existing, so we can move things within the hierarchy, and have the path recalculate), but the sort isn't working as I believe it should. Only thing I can think of is that the paths are too long, at those lowest levels, and have exceeded the character limit that would sort them correctly.

Can anyone shed light on this? I've searched this site, Googled the subject, and nothing shows up. Can't find anywhere in the help system that mentions it either. Appreciate the help. Solution is in FMPA 12.

Paul Legler

Outcomes