6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2012 6:04 PM by chefportal

Send invoice via email

chefportal

I am new to filemaker and have made an invoice solution, all works fine just cant figure out how to generate PDF of invoice and use email address in customer table to send. Im using Fiemaker 12.

I know this is probaly a stupid question.

Thanks in advance

• 1. Re: Send invoice via email
          Malcolm

how to generate PDF of invoice and use email address in customer table to send.

If you choose View->Preview the Export as PDF button appears in the status bar.

If you choose File->Save/Send Records As you can select PDF as an option. It's the same thing as above.

If you write a script to automate the process you can use the Export as PDF script step. It's the same thing as above

In each case you get the option to email the PDF but you don't get to specify the email address from the customer table

If you generate the PDF and save it you can then choose File->Email. You will be able to specify the email in the customer table and attach the PDF.

If you write a script you can (1) generate the PDF and save it (2) create an email using boilerplate text and merge fields, using the customer email address in the TO field and (3) sent it automatically or open it in your email client for approval/editing before sending.

Malcolm

• 2. Re: Send invoice via email
            chefportal

Go it to work, but now have the problem of the PDF not showing record range found set , it displays current record only.

• 3. Re: Send invoice via email
              Oliver_Reid

Make sure "records being browsed" is the setting for the pdf export. It's under "Specify Options" in the script step setup dialog.

• 4. Re: Send invoice via email
                gsokolsky

chefportal,

Here's a script I use to send invoices as PDFs to my customers using my company's gmail account (via SMTP).  I use an archiving table so I can track invoices I've sent out, you can skip those steps...

This saves the pdf to my desktop via a variable, then uploades it as an attachment via the Send Mail step [attach file - variable name]

script.jpg

If you want to send multiple invoices, simply loop the script for the found set:

loop.jpg

This works well for me.

• 5. Re: Send invoice via email
                  chefportal

Thanks, such an easy fix ...

• 6. Re: Send invoice via email
                    chefportal

Thank you for the script, works well.