tcmeyers

How to specify a network path for external container storage?

Discussion created by tcmeyers on Sep 5, 2012
Latest reply on Sep 5, 2012 by wimdecorte

Under FMS 12 I'd like to have files in a container field be stored on our web server machine, rather than the FMS machine. In the File>Manage>Containers menu, there is a box for setting the Base Directories. The "New..." button brings up a text box for specifying paths, with these examples shown:

Relative Path directoryName/

Full Path /Volumes/volumeName/directoryName/

Full Path driveLetter:directoryName

Network Path \computerNameshareNamedirectoryName

We have two Mac servers, the FMS machine is a Lion server, the web server is Leopard.

I orginally tried making sure that the web server hard drive was "mounted" on the FMS machine, and then specified the path in the /Volumes/volumeName/directoryName/ form. When I converted the container from internal to external storage, all seemed to go well, but the files did not end up on the web server machine, instead FileMaker created a series of folders starting with one name "Volumes" in the RC_Data_FMS/tablename folder (in the same directory as the hosted database files).

How do I properly specify the hard drive on the web server machine? I played with the \computerNameshareNamedirectoryName form, but didn't get it right, I get a "The target base directory \Mac mini 5Mac mini 5 HDLibraryWebServerDocuments mc is not valid." error box when I click the "Transfer" button.

Outcomes