1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2012 7:48 PM by wimdecorte

How to specify a network path for external container storage?

tcmeyers

Under FMS 12 I'd like to have files in a container field be stored on our web server machine, rather than the FMS machine. In the File>Manage>Containers menu, there is a box for setting the Base Directories. The "New..." button brings up a text box for specifying paths, with these examples shown:

Relative Path directoryName/

Full Path /Volumes/volumeName/directoryName/

Full Path driveLetter:directoryName

Network Path \computerNameshareNamedirectoryName

We have two Mac servers, the FMS machine is a Lion server, the web server is Leopard.

I orginally tried making sure that the web server hard drive was "mounted" on the FMS machine, and then specified the path in the /Volumes/volumeName/directoryName/ form. When I converted the container from internal to external storage, all seemed to go well, but the files did not end up on the web server machine, instead FileMaker created a series of folders starting with one name "Volumes" in the RC_Data_FMS/tablename folder (in the same directory as the hosted database files).

How do I properly specify the hard drive on the web server machine? I played with the \computerNameshareNamedirectoryName form, but didn't get it right, I get a "The target base directory \Mac mini 5Mac mini 5 HDLibraryWebServerDocuments mc is not valid." error box when I click the "Transfer" button.

1 2 Previous Next