1 2 Previous Next 17 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2016 6:58 PM by phil-hanson

Australian Banking File created from FM

dubl

Hi List,

Has anyone successfully set up a process to create an Australian Banking File from FileMaker?

I've set up the file according to the exact specs, with character counts, spaces, fills and the extension is .ABA

The file will NOT import - keeps on saying the 'from account' is incorrect.

I sent the file to Westpac who says that while everything LOOKS correct and all the chanracter counts are correct, there must be some hidden character that FileMaker is inserting which is botching up the process. The number of the 'from account' is correct, even tho the message at the end of the failed import says it is not.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

Dubl

• 1. Re: Australian Banking File created from FM
          ch0c0halic

Have you opened the file in BBEdit and checked for invisible characters? Also check character encoding?

Try filtering the field to allow only alpha-numerics?

Try deleting the value from the ¿field? and reentering?

Export file using Character encoding UTF-8?

Open file in BBEdit, clean out gremlins and undesirable invisibles, and save to new file and have them test it.

Do above and retype the Account info before saving.

• 2. Re: Australian Banking File created from FM
            beverly

Dubl, are you using export or export field contents? If export, what format?

Remember that export field contents is UTF-16 & may have characters unacceptable by a system expecting UTF-8. Export as tab, comma & others may not give you an expected end-of-line. Export as XML (likely with a simple XSLT) can produce TEXT result (UTF-8) and may be what you need.

Just guessing here.

-- sent from my iPhone4 --

Beverly Voth

--

• 3. Re: Australian Banking File created from FM
              RonSmithMD

Are you exporting from Mac or WIndows? How are you doing the export in detail?

Ron

Ron Smith, MD, 'The Pediatric Guide For Parents'

Want to know more about me and my family? Take a look at the free ebook about my daughter below.

Forever And A Day For Laura Michelle

• 4. Re: Australian Banking File created from FM
                MarcDolley

Are you exporting the individual fields or a single calculated string for each record? Past experience with this sort of thing (hint: Broadbeach) had better results calculating a single line per record and exporting that. If necessary, create the calculation in a separate file with the relevant fields, import the data, let the calculation do its thing and then export the one concatenated field.

If you need help, you know where to find me.

Regards

Marc

• 6. Re: Australian Banking File created from FM
                  monkeybreadsoftware

well, if you use our MBS Plugin, you can write the file with String.WriteTextFile function. There you can specify the text encoding you need, like latin1 or utf8. If you also use String.ReplaceNewline, you can decide whether you want to use CR, LF, or CRLF as newline character.

Greetings

Christian

• 7. Re: Australian Banking File created from FM
                    dubl

Thanks Bev, Michael, Jimmy and Christian!

FWIW, I'm now an expert of Australian Banking Files - I can almost read off the padding requirements by heart!

I ended up inserting a stylesheet into a container field in my solution, and then exporting that to the users desktop before doing the actual record export. Yes it leaves the stylesheet on the desktop, but I'm happy to accept that.

Cheers

Dubl

• 8. Re: Australian Banking File created from FM
                      LyndsayHowarth

Now... I must tell you Catherine's joke about bogans an bankers

Sent from my iPad

Lyndsay Howarth

11th Hour Group Pty Ltd

• 9. Re: Australian Banking File created from FM
                        comment

dubl wrote:

it leaves the stylesheet on the desktop

Why not use the temporary folder?

http://www.filemaker.com/11help/html/func_ref2.32.77.html#1031578

• 10. Re: Australian Banking File created from FM
                          dubl

Good question Michael. I assumed (yes I know ass-u-me) that the stylesheet has to be in the same location as the export file will be created to? I want the export file to be on the user's desktop, for ease of access.

I haven't tested that assumption yet.

Mind you, I haven't tested the finished product yet as an export to the bank!! I saw that the export file had the correct returns and the padding counts were correct and left it for other pressing matters.

But D-day is not far away, so I'll be testing it today. Or should that be B-day. Maybe F-day might be more appropriate.

Cheers

Dub

• 11. Re: Australian Banking File created from FM
                            comment

dubl wrote:

I assumed (yes I know ass-u-me) that the stylesheet has to be in the same location as the export file will be created to?

No, that's a false assumption. It can be anywhere. In fact, if you wanted to, you could even post the stylesheet somewhere and point to it via a URL (assuming your users will be connected to the Internet when they call it).

• 12. Re: Australian Banking File created from FM
                              PowerSlave

Yes , I have successfully created a FileMaker system that creates ABA fixed length data tables for performing direct debits via any Australian Bank. We use this on a grand scale and what it does every month in minutes saves hours of manual entry via the banks online service.

There are no plugins required , but there is a bit of trickery in regards to how you generate the data and how you export it as a "ABA" file. ABA files are an electronic version of the old "fixed length" 132 column dot matrix printer reports. Let me know if you're interested and I can point you in the right direction.

Regards , Lee.

• 13. Re: Australian Banking File created from FM
                                LyndsayHowarth

which I have done with stylesheets for CSV Exports because the desktop is not always a place the user has permission to save to.

- Lyndsay

• 14. Re: Australian Banking File created from FM
                                  dubl

Lee - could you tell me what method you are using?

My first attempt was to build up one big variable, put that into a field, then export just that field. Result - fail.

Second attempt was Bev set up an XSLT file, and exported the XML. Result - returns between every line.

Third attempt - set up an export table and use the VirtualList technique to create records which I export - result - putting dots (periods) in place of spaces and between each character, as well as extra blank line between lines.

I don't have much hair left, so there's not a lot to pull out - PLEEEEEEZE save the rest of it and tell me what you're doing?????

Cheers

Steve

1 2 Previous Next