10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2012 9:51 PM by StanMillar

How to auto-fill fields in the same table?

jzbubble

I've created a contact databse. I just wonder how I can autofill the address, telephone, website of the same company? I see some solutions like use autofill-edit box-fill with existed value. But that still means I still need to input the first several number or letters. I want if I input certain company, the rest of the forms are autofilled automatically. And I can't use auto-enter by last visit because the data is out of sorted. Pls help. If there are two tables, I understand to use portal to build up a relationship. But how can I do in one table? This is my confusing.

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: How to auto-fill fields in the same table?
          leemedley

I'm having a similar issue. 

• 2. Re: How to auto-fill fields in the same table?
            comment

jzbubble wrote:

If there are two tables, I understand to use portal to build up a relationship. But how can I do in one table?

Why would you want to do this with one table? If several contacts belong to the same company, then obviously you have a one-to-many relationship between Companies and Contacts - and company information should be entered only once, in the Companies table.

This way you only need to select which company a contact belongs to and all the company details become available through the relationship.

• 3. Re: How to auto-fill fields in the same table?
              Malcolm

Why would you want to do this with one table? If several contacts belong to the same company, then obviously you have a one-to-many relationship between Companies and Contacts - and company information should be entered only once, in the Companies table.

A well-known solution does exactly that: all in one table. It drives me nuts whenever I have to work with it but there you have it. Successful solutions do it that way, so don't pay any attention to Michael. You simply need to create different table occurrences in the relationship graph. One of them will be called "contact" and the other will be called "company".

malcolm

• 4. Re: How to auto-fill fields in the same table?
                comment

I have nothing against a recursive self-join relationship, where appropriate. If each contact has their own address, telephone number, web site, etc. AND each company has a spouse name and a birthday reminder - then indeed it would be appropriate...

• 5. Re: How to auto-fill fields in the same table?
                  beverly

care to "name" the well-known solution, Malcolm?

I guess I want to opine: endeavor to make your data in a way that is easy for you to work with. However, a small solution can get away with ignoring the rules that must be followed by a larger, more complex solution. Many of us have dealt with large data-sets, mega-complex solutions and have learned (likely the HARD WAY), that the planning for "eventuality" is the key. If you know something is not going to ever grow beyond what you need to do and it's efficient for your current and future tasks, then do it "non-standard". If you even have a small hint that this solution may be much more over time, then think really carefully about the decisions you make in the beginning. You do not want to start over, and you don't have to if you plan ahead. I also work directly in SQL databases and you cannot get away without thinking this way!!

I've done this "companies & contacts" as one table (with self-joins) and with two tables (+ a join table). The latter scales better. Just sayin'

I eventually went with "companies/groups" and "people", they both can have addresses and they can both have communication attributes (which are separate tables, too!). But I felt like the "humans" needed to be independent from an entity that likely has humans tied to it, but also could have so much more (equipment, divisions of companies - such as in a multinational corporation, property, subgroups, departments, members etc.)

Beverly

• 6. Re: How to auto-fill fields in the same table?
                    jzbubble

Thanks all. I think the reason is that I am still very new to Filemaker so I used starter solution to create the contacts. Obviously I don't think that deeper. I am just curious why such simple issues do not have an answer in FM. Now I understand it's not an issue for it is the right way to create 2 respective tables. Thanks very much.

• 7. Re: How to auto-fill fields in the same table?
                      beverly

1. it's not a "simple" issue, jz

2. it's not just an "FM" issue. it's a data storage and retrival issue.

Is there a starter solution that you are looking at at want help understanding it, or are you starting from "tabala rosa" (blank slate)?

Beverly

• 8. Re: How to auto-fill fields in the same table?
                        comment

Beverly Voth wrote:

"tabala rosa"

<groan>

• 9. Re: How to auto-fill fields in the same table?
                          beverly

Yeah, stupid spill chicker!

Beverly

• 10. Re: How to auto-fill fields in the same table?
                            StanMillar

Bev

Now you sound like a Kiwi. (New Zealander for those who don't understand the shorthand. And then there are those who think they sound just like us Aussies. How could you?

Try getting a Kiwi to say fish and chips. Or the number six - sounds like they are trying to proposition you.

Hi to all you out there across the ditch.