AnsweredAssumed Answered

Hosting FileMaker Files for Client

Question asked by EdwardMcPikeJr on Sep 10, 2012
Latest reply on Jun 13, 2017 by bigtom

I just finished reading a related thread, Cloud Hosting, but didn't want to hijack it. I am in a quandry and am hoping to get some advice here:

I have one client that needs to host their files over the WAN. He has an office in the Bahamas, an office in Washington DC, and I've now added FileMaker Go access for staff with iPads in the field and iPhones for the boss to grab some high level data.

A few years ago I got an account with FMGateway. However, they had two major server crashes over the past couple of years (including data loss in the first), response to the issue wasn't that great the last time, and they just seemed to have faded off the map lately.

So back in June I moved my client to Triple8.net and their 24/7 support. Yesterday their server or admin console went down (I can still see my file in their web interface, but it won't open after closing by itself on Saturday). I love the fact that they allow automatic FTP of backups to my FTP site, as I can now move this file pretty quickly to a new server.

So, for starters, I'm looking into WorldCloud and PointInSpace for at least a temporary solution. But I would like to have better control over this. I'm just trying to figure out a good cost-effective solution:

1 - I am going to price them on having their own server in their office, with FileMaker Server

2 - I wouldn't mind looking into something along the shared server or dedicated server route, with my purchasing FileMaker Server and hosting for them. I'd like to put my own Project Management file on the WAN anyway, so it would get a bit more use. However, this isn't very cost effective since I only have one client that needs these services. All others own FMS for use within their one location.

What do you do for your clients when they need hosting over the WAN? I'm trying to figure out the best solution that gives me more control, good backups, and obviously I need a great disaster recovery plan since everywhere I go things seem to fail.

I'd love to hear what many of you do for your clients.

Thank you in advance!

Ed

Outcomes