3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2012 7:58 AM by DavidJondreau

Function to determine current record?

Mike_Mitchell

Good day. Is there a function to determine if a record (for example, in List View) is the current record?

The reason I ask is, I have a solution where I have a list view of records. I have a global field for users to select from a series of options for actions to perform on a record, formatted as a pop-up menu. (The idea is to avoid a bunch of buttons.) I'd rather use a global field than a field stored on each record because (a) the data really are temporary, used only for scripting, and (b) in order to clear the data, I'd have to go through every record and clear it out (yuck).

However, this creates the ugly side effect that, when a user chooses an option on one record, the same option appears on all the other records ... which is visually jarring. It looks like he's choosing to do the same thing to all the records, and that will probably be confusing. It would be equally confusing to put the pop-up in the header, since the user won't know which record he's affecting. So what I'd like to do is set Conditional Formatting on the global field such that the text only appears on the current record.

Now, I could do that if I set a trigger on each record and then set a flag to use for the Conditional Formatting ... but that defeats the purpose of the global field in the first place. Might as well just use a single field on every record. OTOH, if I had a way to determine that a record was the current record, I could set the Conditional Formatting to show the text only on that record and hide it on all the other records, giving the appearance that the user was only messing with the current record.

Ideas?

Mike