1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 14, 2012 11:39 AM by Stephen Huston

Triggers for field changes

Jason_Farnsworth

I have a group of fields that I would like to know if something has been changed within them, as a result of the change run a script to handle a few tasks.

I would also like that if this is the first creation of the record and a value originally inputted at the record creation then I would like just leave it be. However if the record was created but a value was not entered at creation but added later then trigger the script.

What is the proper way of handling this type of catchall? It appears that the scripttriggers are not the perfect fit in this case.

Any advise would be welcome

Thanks in advance,

Jason

• 1. Re: Triggers for field changes
          Stephen Huston

My first thought is that you may need to track when the field was last modified with a Timestamp field which is populated as an Evaluate calculation, using the data field as a trigger field to update the timestamp value. Then you could compare the timestamp field to a timestamp of the creation time.

Not sure what range of time you would want to allow between them, but an OnModify script trigger on the field could capture that info.

Another thought is you could capture that info to a variable instead of a field, but you might still want the timestamp field for recording the last time that specific field was edited (as opposed to the last time the entire record was edited).