6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2012 5:54 PM by Stephen Huston

External Secure Storage

MartinCrosman

I have created a little stand alone file to learn more about FileMaker 12 external storage capabilities.

The file has four fields

Secure Container (External Secure) Set as Interactive

Secure Container 2 (External Secure) Not set as interactive

GetasText (Container)

Get asText (Container2)

Base directory is default setting.

StepOne

I drag a drop a PDF in Secure Container. Get asText field provides remote: Filename; Size: 617, 794 JPEG: Secure....)

StepTwo

In Secure Container 2 the Insert PDF command is gray out so I use Insert File (store as a reference not checked). The first page of the PDF is displayed. Get asText indicates Remote:filename and File:Secure. I can not double click to view the file. I must export it to view it.

I clear the file.

In Secure Container 2 the Insert PDF command is gray out so I use Insert File (store as a reference checked). PDF icon of the file is displayed. Get asText indicates the path to the local file ignoring secure storage.

Double clicking will open the file.

Is the how this works? I was expecting this regardless of options the file would be saved to Secure folder.

If this is what happens how do you go about eliminating user from using insert file and relying on drag and drop to add files.

Step Three

I clear the file from Secure Container field.

The field is still active I right click and select Insert PDF. It insert the PDF. Get as Text returns remote: 1.pdf size: no secure location is provided

Step Four

I clear the file from Secure Container field.

I click outside the field and right click back into the field and select Insert PDF. It insert the PDF. Get as Text returns remote: 1.pdf size: JPEG:Secure/ location

I expected Step Three would also return the same GetasText as Step four. Where is the file located in Step Three?

• 1. Re: External Secure Storage
          Stephen Huston

When doing an Insert or Import, choosing the option for import only by reference still works as it did before 12 -- it does not move the container data into the the FM storage area; it just references the original location. Double-clicking a file stored by reference only can open the file, which is not part of the FM data.

This store as a reference only option is available only during Insert and Import steps. That leaves the data file outside of the FM file (which includes the FM storage area, whether embedded or esternal storage).

You must export a PDF which is part of the FM storage before you can open it.

Don't confuse external storage of container data with storing a file only as a reference. They are entirely different, and the container field will behave differently.

• 2. Re: External Secure Storage
            MartinCrosman

Right. So how do you stop someone from using Insert File option in a field that is defined for External Storage. When you have defined a field to use this storage option it would be expected behaviour that Insert File uses this set option by default. As a user I would expect Insert by file to do the same as dragging and dropping. Given it doesn't I like to remove the insert file option.

As you noted you must "export" the PDF to be able to view it. Filemaker 12 has made this way easier if the container is optomize for pdf as the floating toolbar provide icons for view and downloading. In fact the right clicking does even give you the Export option but rather Open with Adobe Acrobat. I like it.

• 3. Re: External Secure Storage
              Stephen Huston

You can use FileMaker Advanced to modify the menus with Custom Menus. You remove or disable menu options, or reprogram them as scripts which can tell the user how to correctly do something.

I believe that removing the Insert Menu from the active menus might leave only the drag-and-drop option for the container fields. One might also apply a button (script step: Custom Dialog) to the field so that, if clicked on instead of drag-and-drop, the user is told to use drag-and-drop.

• 4. Re: External Secure Storage
                MartinCrosman

Thanks Stephen. Yeah there are work arounds but I think it would be better if FileMaker said hey you defined this as External Storage so Insert File either works like drag and drop or doesn't exist.

I've been playing with this in a stand alone file. What happens when the file is hosted?

It doesn't seem right to make it so easy to side step setting up Secure storage if a user can screw things up by using the command.

Looked a little further. How about using the Verify Container function as validation. If Field is defined as External Secure and you use insert file to add a file it returns ?. Validation would alert user and clear contents. Or tie it to script trigger.

• 5. Re: External Secure Storage
                  MartinCrosman

I used VerifyContainer script function and added field validation, support script and on validate script trigger and that pesky insert File is negated. Now this is better.

• 6. Re: External Secure Storage
                    Stephen Huston

Good to know. Thanks for keeping us posted on dealing with this change for 12.