7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2012 5:53 AM by steve.winter

MySQL odbc driver for OSX: which one?

Oliver_Reid

Why not* use the OS -X version of Mysql-connector , which is free, vs the Actual driver which is not?

I am trying this: will I be struck by lightning?

* apart, that is, from the fact that FMI say to use Actual Tech's driver.

• 1. Re: MySQL odbc driver for OSX: which one?
          ch0c0halic

You might want to check the FMI Knowledge base for supported drivers.

Which ODBC data sources/drivers are supported with External SQL Data Sources?

Which ODBC drivers are supported with External SQL Data Sources?

Answer ID: 6420

• 2. Re: MySQL odbc driver for OSX: which one?
            Oliver_Reid

Did that. They don't mention Mysql-connector for OSX, but do for Windows

My question is: Why? I am testing it with no problems (so far)

• 3. Re: MySQL odbc driver for OSX: which one?
              ch0c0halic

Because you asked a question?

Just because its free and appears to be working does not mean it is tested or supported by the manufacturer, FMI. If later you encouter problems and cannot discover what's wrong then Free becomes very expensive indeed.

• 4. Re: MySQL odbc driver for OSX: which one?
                Oliver_Reid

I aplogize for not phrasing my question quite clearly enough , which is

"why does FMI only suggest the actual ODBC drivers for ESS on OS X?"

If someone knows I am interested in the answer.

If you do not know, with respect, please do not answer

• 5. Re: MySQL odbc driver for OSX: which one?
                  steve.winter

Oliver, this isn't an explicit answer, however in my experience the Actual ODBC driver always works, while other (free) drivers usually work. I have had situations where development went smoothly, and deployment went very badly with other drivers (including the above-mentioned OS-X Mysql-connector). I have also found that updates to either the 'other' ODBC driver or FileMaker have resulted in previsouly working solutions stopping.

As with many of the 'external' interfaces which FMI provide, it eventually comes down to the ability to test and certifiy the various options which exist - there are so many out there that ensuring every option was covered would (in my estimation) result in significant delays in FM product release and increases in base costs for the product to provide a (relatively) small finicanical saving for the mast minority of users.

A similar analogy could be drawn between the PHP API and FX.php - FX has been around since long before the API, and many people still develop using it. Personally, once the API had been released we stopped developing new projects using FX in case a future release of FM 'broke' that integration. That proved to be the case with FM 12. Most FX functionality is still fine, but not all, and while that may-or-may-not be the result of a bug, it's still an issue... if you don't use the 'approved' method, then you are more likely to run into issues...

Taking the cynical view, you could speculate that FM test and certify the Actual ODBC driver for MySQL (and other technologies) as 'payback' for Acutal developing the inbound FM ODBC drivers. You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours...

YMMV

Steve

• 6. Re: MySQL odbc driver for OSX: which one?
                    Oliver_Reid

Thnaks Steve

Btw

How does  Actual's driver permed vs. WIndows drivers

I purchased the 10 connection version of Actual's MySQL driver. This is to use with FMS to hosted FMP apps that incorporate display and update live SQL data .

Is there a practcial user limit, after which I need the  Professional version?

• 7. Re: MySQL odbc driver for OSX: which one?
                      steve.winter

Oliver

1. permed...? did you mean perform...? I'm unsure of the answer to that because a. I've not used the windows driver because b. I work on OS X...

2. again, I don't know the answer to that - I do know that practically the demo version will only show 6 records, so expect that there is some equal practical 'stop' from preventing more than 10 connections, however ever if there was no practical limit you would be in breach of your license terms on all machines connected if there were more than 10 using the driver at the same time...

Good luck

Steve