AnsweredAssumed Answered

Need businesses to list under multiple categories, without duplicating records

Question asked by mochad on Sep 19, 2012
Latest reply on Mar 2, 2013 by Kingsford

Within an established database, I need to set up an updatable, printable list of businesses, grouped under categories, similar to a phone book. Sounds easy enough, but some businesses need to show up under 2 or 3 categories. Since these records are used for many other purposes, the business records can NOT be duplicated. That would make this easy, but a data entry nightmare, so that's not an acceptable solution. Nor is the solution of a seperate database to duplicate records for printing. It all needs to stay in the same database. I have a table named Companies and have experimented with a new table for Categories. As given to me, the Companies table includes the Category field with the Value list of categories. Within that field there are 1, 2 or 3 categories selected in a drop down list on each company record. I have this scripted to work in a nice layout, with a sub-summary field sorted by Categories in one click. Currently records with the same combination of choices, show up with all categories above each group, instead of splitting them off individually. Any ideas? This is in FileMaker Pro 11.

Outcomes