1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 20, 2012 4:13 PM by robwoof

Print settings on Filemaker that is sharing files on our network affecting other copies running on network

rbogdanoff

That was a hard one to phrase as a question! We have a WIndows 7 network and run our database on one machine. The other machines each with their own copy of Filemaker use "Open Remote..." to accesss our database. I work on the "master" machine and have been working on a layout where I have my print setup set to landscape orientation and duplex printing. When some of my co-workers print records in other layouts from their machines, their print setup mimics the landscape/double sided setting of the master Filemaker. The layouts they are printing are portrait and single sided and these users never set their own print setup to that configuration so it must be getting it form the master. Is this a know issue, and can it be stopped?

• 1. Re: Print settings on Filemaker that is sharing files on our network affecting other copies running on network
          robwoof

What you describe is not so much an issue as "that's the way it works". Said another way, "That's not a bug, that's a feature!"  :-)  I will explain.

When you "Open Remote…", the client session starts with Page Setup and print settings inherited from the host session (for peer-to-peer, which is what you're doing) or from the last single-user session (if the file is hosted on FileMaker Server). The same applies to Global fields, window sizes and positions, and probably other things I have forgotten about. It's analogous to the way that any MS Word documents I receive in email from my boss are set to view at 200% - he has a 27" iMac (high pixel density) and sits a long way from it, so he needs things to be BIG on the screen.

The way you deal with it on the printing front could be to create a script that has a Print Setup step in it that sets it to portrait etc. You can have a condition that checks whether the session is the host or the guest, and only run it for guests. You then set that script to run on file open (File menu->File Options…).

HTH

Rob