10 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2012 2:10 PM by wsvp

PDF as a Layout Foundation

JFWX5

Hi Everyone,

I have several dozen US Goverment forms in pdf format that we are required to fill out on a ongoing basis,

with data contained in our Filemaker 12 solution. Rather that construct the layouts from scratch, I would

like to somehow get the pdf's into Filemaker and then lay the fields on top of the form.

What is the best way to get these pdfs onto a Filemaker 12 layout, ie type of field, conversion of pdf, ect, ect?

Thanks,

John

• 1. Re: PDF as a Layout Foundation
          MattLeach

Probably the best way would be to save the PDF as an image and use it as a background for the layout. You can then place your fields on top of the image in the appropriate areas.

• 2. Re: PDF as a Layout Foundation
            wsvp

This can be done.  But there are a few things to consider.

Many forms are copyright protected.  So you are not "legally" allowed to print them from an application directly.  Additionally some forms are designed to be analyzed by a device that scans the form and uses the color and position of the form for the division of the data.  Often color printers can produce color values that are not accurate to the requirements of the scanning device. This requires you to print your data on top of pre-printed forms (alignment can be a serious headache) as different printers can have different registration issues.

• 3. Re: PDF as a Layout Foundation
              JFWX5

WSVP & MattLeach,

The forms are not copywritten and as for the quality of the forms I doubt that the Goverment is scanning them into their system.  When we order blank forms from the Goverment, most of the forms are simply photo copies of photo copies on a slant, so even

typing them presents a problem.

As for "Probably the best way would be to save the PDF as an image and use it as a background for the layout. You can then place your fields on top of the image in the appropriate areas.", what image format would be the best

to convert the pdfs into?

Thank you,

John

• 4. Re: PDF as a Layout Foundation
                MattLeach

I believe FileMaker is optimized to work best with png image types. That's always what i have used in my databases.

• 5. Re: PDF as a Layout Foundation
                  PowerSlave

Just did that this morning ... go to this site : http://docupub.com/pdfconvert/ and convert your PDF to a PNG, You can then place it on your layout , lock it and place your fields over the top.

• 6. Re: PDF as a Layout Foundation
                    jrenfrew

Are you trying to keep them as filled 'forms' with data from FM or as documents where you 'print' the data to the right place and then end up with A: print document B: another completed PDF???

• 7. Re: PDF as a Layout Foundation
                      mattman

John pointed me to this thread. Thanks John.

FileMaker supports adding a .pdf file into Layout mode. Simply go into Layout mode and choose the Insert > Picture option. You'll see that .pdf is not omitted in your choices.

To prep your document, just take the original PDF and make a duplicate in the OS. Then delete all pages except for one (unless the PDF is secured). Do this until you have single page PDFs and just add them into the layout.

You'll then have a 8.5 x 11 (if it's a US form) embedded pdf which is a vector based (key point here - because images can get much larger) within your layout.

Placing fields over the form areas works just fine. The problem you may have is with margins. When you bring the form in a full size it comes with any existing margins and you can't adjust them if the PDF is secured. However, if you have access to edit or re-output the PDF then you can reduce the margins to nothign and then allow printing from FileMaker to apply them.

Otherwise, you shouldn't have any alignment or output issues. I just did a few tests and things worked out fine.

Matt

[update] I just saw this site and I know that some of the stuff John knows about with iText means you can crop a PDF to get rid of margins. http://www.pdfscissors.com/

• 8. Re: PDF as a Layout Foundation
                        jrenfrew

Easy to use site...

Its using iText under the hood, and consequently it is open source so I can probably make that happen inside FileMaker

All I need is to learn how to do the drawing interface..

• 9. Re: PDF as a Layout Foundation
                          jrenfrew

Matt

That only work on Mac.

• 10. Re: PDF as a Layout Foundation
                            wsvp

Just as a side note...

If it needs to work cross platform... Make sure you keep an amount of spacing in your field size/placement to allow for the differences in the way Mac and Windows handle Font Metrics...  The Mac will "generally" display a slightly higher kerning (Text Spacing) value than Windows.  I personally feel the Mac displays text much better than Windows, and the Mac is more "WYSIWYG" accurate.