1 2 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply on Oct 24, 2012 1:16 PM by abrosius

HTTP POST Functions

databuzz

I'd love to see some new functions for doing an HTTP/S POST for interacting with web services.

• 1. Re: HTTP POST Functions
          smower

Amen! I have been asking FileMaker for a HTTP post functions and the ability to consume web services for about five years and they ignore me year after year, release after release. It kills me on the FM go functions that don't support plug-ins. That is where I need this H TTP post and web service consumption functionality the most.  I also need the ability to handle password-protected URLs that are formed based and not URL based with basic authentication.

• 2. Re: HTTP POST Functions
            jrenfrew

+1

goes hand in hand with JSON and XML parsing

• 3. Re: HTTP POST Functions
              PeterWindle

I can highly recommend Base Elements plugins... yes, I know, they are plugins, but they are FREE.

www.goya.com.au

Thanks to Nick from Goya, his plugins for http POST saved me a LOT of hassle with other plugins that either did not work, or did not give any support.

• 4. Re: HTTP POST Functions
                vince.menanno

+1 on this.

It would be great to be able to interact with web services.

• 5. Re: HTTP POST Functions
                  GordonShewach

I second the Base Elements plugin recommendation. I needed to send a POST command to a website and needed just two attempts to get the BE plugin syntax right before it worked perfectly for me.

Gordon Shewach

Desktop Services

Ann Arbor, MI

• 6. Re: HTTP POST Functions
                    jrenfrew

Think though this IS a thread about talking to FM people about what perhaps could and should be being discussed as native functionality. AND plug-ins dont work on Go - so that's why we need it as a core thing. Lots of things are beautiful in plugin land....

• 7. Re: HTTP POST Functions
                      jbarnum

I would also love to see this feature. It would be a giant leap forward in terms of integrating FileMaker with virtually anything.

• 8. Re: HTTP POST Functions
                        smower

Hello, this http post functionality really needs to be native in FileMaker, server, runtimes, iwp and Go.  I use plug-ins but I have been getting burned by them in the following ways:

1. They do not work in FM Go so those solutions that use plug-ins became useless in FMGo.

2.  FileMaker technical support blames problems on plug-ins and will not always help me when I have fm issues and plug-ins are installed.

3.  One of my favorite plug-ins for doing http posting has not been updated for several years and crashes with the new versions of FileMaker when the data returned is too large. It is not easy to predict when plug-in makers will stop supporting them and it is a pain to switch hundreds of scripts to a new plug-in that might become obsoleted on the next version.

Sometimes it seems that the FileMaker product team uses plug-ins as an excuse not to put the http post And consuming Web services functionality into the product natively and I think that is sad and prevents the entire FileMaker line from being able to integrate with almost anything.

• 9. Re: HTTP POST Functions
                          SecretWeaponLabs

+1

Let's put it this way - the FileMaker platform will be a dying beast if it doesn't play the integratation card.  There's too much momentum on the web/DB/NoSQL side where integration is fairly more straightforward.

• 10. Re: HTTP POST Functions
                            OllyGroves

Yep + 11 (in the Spinal Tap sense)

Wrong place to put this stuff I know, but while the right eyeballs on it.

--

Think user friendly REST API support (and all that goes with it) would be one of biggest ROIs for FM Inc.   Would extend Filemaker's value as a data hub and could leverage the community to extend Filemaker in infinite directions.

It does need the kind of effort put into Custom Functions so API code can be easily transferred/shared in the community.  To allow novices to leverage without needing to fully understand whats going on under the hood. (while they learn)

I know plugin devs (BaseElements, MBS, Troi URL, Scriptmaster) already doing great job with this stuff, but really needs to be native (and in FMGo).

In summary would love to see support for:

1. POST & GET (with some Auth support) + PUT, DELETE etc.

2. Some Authorisation Support  eg. A wizard for OAuth 1 & 2 would cover majority of big API's eg. Google, Facebook, Stripe, Xero, Salesforce, Dropbox, Soundcloud.  (and allow Copy & Paste of setups would be very useful)

couple of browser plugin example doing good job of making it easy (if little over complex in places)

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/restclient/  Firefox REST plugin

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/cokgbflfommojglbmbpenpphppikmonn Chrome REST console

3.Internal Filemaker JSON support to parse at a minimum (eg. GetObjectValue, GetArray, GetArrayCount etc).  Maybe goes hand in hand with new *FM (Associative) Array type.  Natively in Json (or XML that can be returned in Json)

* A standard filemaker Dict/Array/Map type would also add a lot of value (Code sharing etc). Theres lots of great methods and Custom Functions out there but 'lots' is the operative word, could do with an official standard here.

• 11. Re: HTTP POST Functions
                              jbarnum

These are all great suggestions for dealing with more advanced REST APIs (most simple REST APIs stick with GET and POST). However, I'd like to reiterate that just a simple POST with no other HTTP verb support is sufficient to accomplish everything else, since we can write a custom proxy in between FileMaker and the rest of the world.

I'd love to see all of this stuff (PUT, DELETE, custom http headers, built-in OAuth support), but I don't want FMI to put off simple POST support because of an explosion of feature creep ideas.

• 12. Re: HTTP POST Functions
                                smower

Yes +13 for FileMaker 13 or FileMaker 12.5 which ever comes next.  I love your recommendations.  What do you think is the trick to getting FileMaker, Inc to put this functionality into the next release and not ignore these requests like they have on the last five released versions?

• 13. Re: HTTP POST Functions
                                  OllyGroves

jbarnum wrote:

I'd love to see all of this stuff (PUT, DELETE, custom http headers, built-in OAuth support), but I don't want FMI to put off simple POST support because of an explosion of feature creep ideas.

Agreed, quick iterative wins all the way (al la ExecuteSQL).

• 14. Re: HTTP POST Functions
                                    OllyGroves

smower wrote:

Yes +13 for FileMaker 13 or FileMaker 12.5 which ever comes next.  I love your recommendations.  What do you think is the trick to getting FileMaker, Inc to put this functionality into the next release

If Jesse says POST is critical, that's what we should lobby for (he's been knee deep in these APIs for years - i've dabbled with a few).  The other bits aren't deal breakers but would make the API world a lot easier for the rest of us.

The oAuth stuff is probably stretching it for FM Inc, they need to know stuff isn't gonna change (and is backward compatible for at least a few years).  A tough rope to walk in today's world but the upside is huge. i.e. Build integrated solutions for just about every major cloud application out there.

smower wrote:

not ignore these requests like they have on the last five released versions?

Can't say I agree with you here.  We've got GET now and it's elegantly done. We got SQL SELECT.  We got CSS under the hood and all opportunities that could bring.  I think its pretty bold for a company like FM to be honest.  I like what they are doing.

1 2 Previous Next