7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2012 5:23 PM by mark_scott

Trigger on rotate

crispinhodges

When can we have a script trigger on FMGo rotate?

• 1. Re: Trigger on rotate
          jbante

How about OnObjectSwipe and OnLayoutSwipe, with a corresponding Get ( TriggerSwipeAngle ) function?

• 2. Re: Trigger on rotate
            Paul Jansen

We could really use at least the OnRotate function to produce slick iOS Apps with FMGo

• 3. Re: Trigger on rotate
              jbante

It is possible to create an OnRotate effect with the tools FileMaker already gives us (see here), but I'm sure many would appreciate native support anyway. It wouldn't be the first time FileMaker released a built-in version of a feature implemented by developers in other ways — just look at signature capture and Get ( UUID ).

• 4. Re: Trigger on rotate
                mark_scott

Yes!  Using iOS provides a very tactile experience.  I presume one of the things you're envisioning would be triggering a Go To Layout action (or script).  To complete the tactile experience that iOS users so are accustomed to, it should then also be possible to specify an appropriate "transition" (e.g., "slide in") for the triggered layout change. 

Mark

• 5. Re: Trigger on rotate
                  crispinhodges

Yes this is what I want to achieve although animation (transitions) is a very different request and I believe should have it's own discussion as clearly my request could be met without any animation and may be possible with minimum development as it is reallly just passing on something the OS provides.

• 6. Re: Trigger on rotate
                    jbante

I've seen and done OnRotate effects that transition between layouts, but I'm having a hard time thinking of a scenario where I might want to use a swipe gesture primarily to switch layouts. I might like to swipe left or right to move backwards or forwards through a found set while on a form view layout. Or I might like to swipe left on a list view to reveal a delete button, to be consistent with other iOS list views. Animation effects might be nice, but I have a hard time imagining how FileMaker might make animations available to developers in a cohesive way. I'm just not very imaginative tonight, am I?

• 7. Re: Trigger on rotate
                      mark_scott

Yes, I agree that moving through a Found Set of records is probably a better example, than changing layouts, of when swipe might be useful.  Also, would love to use swipe to reveal a Delete button — very iOS-esque!

And sorry, crispinhodges, for the detour. Agree with you that your original topic, OnRotate, might be simpler to implement than the other stuff, and deserves to stand on its own.

Mark