3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2012 6:01 AM by KarlAmundson

Form within a Form

vgecas

Hi all

I am an absolute beginner working with Filemaker Pro 12, my apologies if this is a really basic question...I have prevously worked with other databases.

I am creating Swimming Carnival db and everything is working really well, but I am at roadblock. I have separate tables for competitors, events, points etc and data gets called up and displays well. I have a table now for the actual running on the carnival day that calls up event ID and I get the event details. Entry of the place and points work. Now what I would like to do is not have one students as shown below, but be able to add the next 7 competitors and their results. In Access I think it was called a form in a form. So in this screenshot, I would like to add another Student Code, Time, Place below the one already shown.

Screen Shot 2012-09-24 at 12.46.51 PM.png

I will then have to work out the totals for each of the Houses!

Thank you in advance

Vic Gecas

ISS International School

Singapore

• 1. Re: Form within a Form
          comment

vgecas wrote:

what I would like to do is not have one students as shown below, but be able to add the next 7 competitors and their results.

I believe you need to use a portal to the table that lists the participants of the event. It's hard to be more specific with only a screenshot to go by.

• 2. Re: Form within a Form
            vgecas

Thanks for the lead Michael, I will look it up!

• 3. Re: Form within a Form
              KarlAmundson

Sounds like you have two tables right now, Students and Swimming Carnival (data base).  I agree with michael a Portal would view the students to the carnival event (one table)  I would create another table with a relationship to the student. to enter Events swam and fields for results, could use Value List to control Different events from a reference table...

Hope this helps, 3 or maybe 4 tables.  One to Many Swimming Carnival (this year) Student (many) - Events (many).  I have created an IEP program with about 60 tables...  It can get a bit crazy...

Keep me in the loop.

Karl Amundson

In-house Developer FileMaker Pro 11 for Citrus County Schools, Florida