4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 24, 2012 11:22 PM by mardikennedy

XPOST/ OFF Mountain Lion 10.8.2/ Mail/ Fake Dates

mardikennedy

Hi,

Has anyone else had any kind of experience of this? (The critical disaster is at the end, after the background.)

I just bought a new MacBook Pro that had 10.7.4 installed, rather than 10.8.2.

I ported the data over from the old one, using Migration Assistant and Time Machine. Thereafter, problems with the new machine. Firstly, I couldn't launch Safari. Spent the rest of Saturday in the Apple store and that ended up getting fixed, with a Mountain Lion upgrade (10.8)

Secondly, this (Mon) morning, I couldn't print. I need new drivers and thru' that I learnt that I couldn't log in to Software Update.

In an effort to fix that problem, Apple Tech Support sent me a link for the 10.8.2 updater which was supposed to work with 10.8. No, it didn't, so I also had to download 10.8.1.

All installed but problem not fixed.

At this point, I had normal Safari access, I could log into the App Store via the icon in the dock, but if I select SU, it can't log into the App Store and therefore can't do its thing.

Further hours with Tech Support phone cover and the conclusion is that I need to erase, reinstall the OS and then manually shift files over. (Yuck but it gets much worse.)

I've gotten very little work done in the last couple of days with all this going on, but before the big erase, I wanted to just double check everything. In particular, I file a lot of emails.

OMG. Semi-randomly, probably from approx 2008 to 2010, a proportion (unknown as yet), have been re-dated to some (recent) day in 2012.

Just great if you're relying on any (legal) history - not.

This (potential) destruction of my historical files is my greatest concern at the moment. (Although I'm definitely pissed off that a) I can't use the new machine and b) I can't get any other work done because of the problems that the new machine is causing.)

Anyone else encountered this? Solutions?

Regards,

Mardi Kennedy

• 1. Re: [XPOST/ OFF] Mountain Lion 10.8.2/ Mail/ Fake Dates
          psijmons

hello Mardi

re-install from Time machine to 10.7.4 then make sure the backup has all your original dates. At least then, whatever you do, you know the source data is correct.

Then post this on Apple discussions which would be a more appropriate forum.

• 2. Re: [XPOST/ OFF] Mountain Lion 10.8.2/ Mail/ Fake Dates

Hi Mardi,

You have my sympathies . . . if that's any consolation. Migration Assistant is smart, but at times, not quite smart enough.

After watching Adam Engst of TidBITS give us the low down on Mountain Lion with his reputation on the line, he recently wrote that he thought OS X 10.8 was the OS that 10.7 was meant to be -- implying that is was sufficiently robust to merit his endorsement.

Consequently, with the need to upgrade several PowerPC Macs to the Intel Core 2 Duo chip (or better) on Mac Minis for migration to FMP V12, I decided that it was worth jumping directly to OS X 10.8.1 -- sparing us the need to do another OS upgrade for at least one year. Some transitions have gone smoothly while a few others have been somewhat more difficult and time consuming, but none have yet displayed the serious shortcomings that you have witnessed.

If there is one salutary lesson, I now firmly believe it is wisest to leave your FM Server on a trusted OS that may well be several years behind the latest release.

With best regards,

John

• 3. Re: [XPOST/ OFF] Mountain Lion 10.8.2/ Mail/ Fake Dates
              mardikennedy

Hi Peter,

Not exactly.  The Time Machine backup of filed emails is (slightly) different to the 'real' files on MBP #1.  In the Date Received column, a few emails now have 'today's' date, rather than the actual date back in 2008/ 2009/ 2010.  I'll have some time to re-examine in a couple of days.  In the meantime, I've erased the HD for MBP #2.

Regards,

Mardi Kennedy

• 4. Re: [XPOST/ OFF] Mountain Lion 10.8.2/ Mail/ Fake Dates
                mardikennedy

; ) your sympathies are welcome, John - no fun feeling sorry for oneself without a bit of company!

The biggest query tho' is whether or not anyone has discovered that in their Time Machines backups, the Date Received entry for (?random?) filed emails defaults to 'today', rather than it's original date?

When I have some time in a couple of days, I'll check back with older TM backups to see if I can work out when this started.  Not a 100% sure that I'll get anywhere.

Very tentative hypothesis:  that these 'date corrupted' ones were, at some stage, held as Drafts, prior to being completed and sent.

Regards,

Mardi Kennedy