13 Replies Latest reply on Sep 25, 2012 7:37 AM by MarkB

No Local Host visable

MarkB

Hi all,

I'm in a panic. We just converted from FMPS-11 to FMPS-12 on a Windows 2003 Server. All 108 files are loaded and opened. On my PC (Windows 7 FMPA-12) I can see and open the Local Host and all files from Open Remote. Some other PCs (Windows XP FMP-12) can but most can not. After closing FMP on my PC and choosing the Browse | Remote - the Local Host shows nothing, yet I can still open the files from the Recent Files list. We can get the files to open by entering the direct network file path. I don't have a clue what's going on. All worked fine in FMP-11.

Reagards,

Mark

• 1. Re: No Local Host visable

have you tried reinstalling bonjour on them?

• 2. Re: No Local Host visable
            MarkB

I forgot to mention that we have 2 FMP Servers - one for development and one live.  When we converted to FMP12, we had Java problems on the Live server so we had everyone using the development server.  All went fine.  So the Bonjour on the user's PCs was working at that time. After getting the Java problem fixed, we shut down the development server and we transferred the files (using the Server option) to the Live server and all seemed to go well except for the lack of host visability.  I tried restarting the Bonjour service but that didn't make any difference.  I will reinstall Bonjour and see if that makes any difference.

Mark

• 3. Re: No Local Host visable
              jkrichton

On a working machine copy the server.pem file from the filemaker pro directory and place it into the same directory of one of the machines that isn't working.

• 4. Re: No Local Host visable
                MarkB

As of this time we have NO working Client systems - none of them show Local Hosts.  There is a server.pem file on the server.  Should I copy that one to a client system?

• 5. Re: No Local Host visable
                  jkrichton

No, don't copy the one from the server.

How about firewall port 5003 open on new server (both TCP & UDP)

Jeff

• 6. Re: No Local Host visable
                    MarkB

Thanks Jeff,

I checked and 5003 TCP as well as 16000 TCP, 16001 TCP and 5013 TCP are open, BUT the Windows Firewall is disabled so it shouldn't make a difference (I think?).  Just in case I added 5003 UDP.  Still that host is not visable.  We started the other FMP server (with no files open) and it is showing up as a host.  So since the client PCs can see the 2nd server I would think that the client "server.pem" files are ok.

Mark

• 7. Re: No Local Host visable
                      s

Hi Mark,

Sorry, no answer, just more questions for you...

Can you still open the files using the network file path? Do you see the files if you add the new server's ip address to Favorite Hosts in the Open Remote dialog on the client machines? Is the new server on the same subnet as the clients? Can you ping the server from the clients?

--

Steve Moore

Cumberland, Maine

• 8. Re: No Local Host visable
                        jkrichton

Mark,

I wonder in conversion if the check box for "Don't display in Open File Dialog window" was checked.

Check- File>Sharing>Filemaker Network

Jeff

• 9. Re: No Local Host visable
                          MarkB

Hi Steve,

I love more questions because it gives me hope that there may be a solution.  Here are the answers:

Can you still open the files using the network file path? Yes - that is our current workaround.

Do you see the files if you add the new server's ip address to Favorite Hosts in the Open Remote dialog on the client machines? Yes - that works fine.

Is the new server on the same subnet as the clients? Yes - the Windows server is visible from the client PCs.

Thanks,

Mark

• 10. Re: No Local Host visable
                            MarkB

Hi Jeff,

I think you may be on to something.  Although the .fp7 files were all working fine and the DBServer host was working fine from FMPSA-11.  So unless the conversion turned off the sharing option, it should work.  Now that I think about it, I know the converted files work because they work on our development server and the development server shows up as a host when it is turned on.  They are the same files - they were copied from the development server to the live server so the files are the same files.  The problem appears to be isolated to the live server.  I'm hoping it is some switch that didn't get turned on.

Mark

• 11. Re: No Local Host visable
                              DavidJondreau

Seems like you've got two solid suggestions:

1) Re-install Bonjour on the Server

2) Check the Sharing settings on the file

I'd also add:

3) Make sure port 5353 is open.

This is the best summary of ports I've seen (despite it being written when 9 was new): http://sixfriedrice.com/wp/filemaker-firewall/

• 12. Re: No Local Host visable
                                s

This article gives a couple ways to tell if Bonjour is installed:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2703

It also suggests using the Windows Control Panel to remove Bonjour before reinstalling.

• 13. Re: No Local Host visable
                                  MarkB

Good news - the uninstall and reinstall of Bonjour fixed the problem.  All is well - thanks to all who gave suggestions.

Mark