disabled_JohnWolff

How prominent do your navigation buttons need to be?

Discussion created by disabled_JohnWolff on Sep 25, 2012
Latest reply on Sep 25, 2012 by psijmons

Hi All,

In his recent Before & After layout screen shots, (https://fmdev.filemaker.com/message/95362#95362 and earlier) Peter Sijmons made a big change in the prominence of the Buttons used for Navigation to the different modules of his Laboratory Management solution. They went from being prominently styled boxes in a banner across the layout to a row of less conspicuous oval buttons beneath the strong banner of his revised layout.

I like the change as it seems to fit with the modern thinking on interface design and am considering a similar transition as we rebuild our current solution. I'm curious as to how different layout designers arrive at these decisions without all the benefits of FMI's eye tracking laboratory that Heather Winkle cited in her DevCon presentation as an important tool in their way of reaching an optimal layout configuration.

Mike Duncan's Navigation Framework also has much smaller buttons than I'm used to seeing.

I'm hoping that Peter can share with us how he arrived at this design decision and its impact on the users of his solution.

Thanks in advance,

John

Outcomes