5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2012 1:05 AM by gdurniak

Different recovery results

techt

Has anyone else experienced files that pass the consistency check on some computers but not others? I'm trying to nail down the differences, and as of this morning I would have said it was a 12v2 on 10.8 versus 10.7, but that hasn't held in some of my testing. Bottom line, I've got a file that I'm now considering rebuilding from scratch to eliminate any possible problem in the future. A version of the file is served via FMSA 12, but there are inconsistencies once I pull those files down from the server, and the server hasn't reported any problem during its regular backup routines.

A complete rebuild is not something I take lightly, but I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this kind of inconsistencies and if I dare trust this file going forward.

Thanks in advance,

TT

• 1. Re: Different recovery results
          Malcolm

Has anyone else experienced files that pass the consistency check on some computers but not others?

Yes. We discovered that different OS will give different recovery results. It was four years ago but at that time FMI recommended try as many different OS as possible. In the end we got a complete recovery using Vista.

Malcolm

• 2. Re: Different recovery results
            gdurniak

If it's repeatably different on each machine, or if the live file fails and backup passes, then it's a bug, and should be reported

It would also pay to run a disk utility to check each hard drive

Since the Consistency Check is just looking at blocks and pointers, the OS ( hopefully ) should not matter

( If the Recovery won't finish, THEN it would pay to try another OS. That has always been true )

Try a Save As Compacted. It rebuilds the file's block index, and so can fix consistency problems

greg

> Has anyone else experienced files that pass the consistency check on some computers but not others?

> FMI recommended try as many different OS as possible. In the end we got a complete recovery using Vista.

• 3. Re: Different recovery results
              techt

Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, they didn't provide the results I was looking for. Good try though.

• 4. Re: Different recovery results
                techt

Well, after quite a bit of running about, I was able to hit on a solution. Depending on how the file was copied to which machine, and then what activity I may have done to the file after arriving on the new machine (thanks again for the compacted tip), I was able to get file recovery to fail on every system. No, I don't consider this a failure.

What did end up happening though was I was getting different recovery logs depending on the computer I was running recovery on, still not sure why, but the one system that was passing then finally failed after saving a compacted copy and then running recovery pointed to a error in a calculated field. Since I was playing with multiple copies at that point anyway, I deleted the calculation and with that calc gone, the file past recovery on every machine, repeatedly, even after saving copies, saving compacted copies, uploading to server and back down again. Everything in the file appears fine now.

It seems that failing recovery for a bad calc is a bit harsh. I've kept the older backup version online, but I'm building a new solution currently for the client with a bunch of new features for them. I'll migrate their data over when they're ready for the big move.

Thanks everyone for your ideas and support. Hopefully this gives others the encouragement to not give up and keep digging a little deeper into the recovery logs for possible answers.

TT

• 5. Re: Different recovery results
                  gdurniak

The Recover Log was originally an internal tool, that FileMaker fortunately decided to make public

But without proper documentation, it just ends up scaring the hell out of people

They need to publish a list of errors ( like this ) that are of "low severity"

greg

> It seems that failing recovery for a bad calc is a bit harsh