Or FileMaker could be good at what it is good at and let those apps do their job. Otherwise on that basis it should also licence some video editing tools, some PDF form creation tools, some vector graphics toolset, as ese are all types of files I interact within on a regular basis.
Surely being a data manipulation tol is not the same as a content creation and manipulation tool?
Filemaker GO, is a lot use as a daat acqusition tool in the field. That opens a lot of new area for both FMP and FM Go. But Data acquistion is a painfull job, and it should be as productive as it could.
My stance, backed by experience, is that NO camera Apps out there that misses those small features is productive. And FM Go should be very productive in that area, because people will use it not buy pure pleasure but also for work.
The feature I highligted, each are geared to productivity and avoid to have to retake a shot :
- "anti-shake" helps you to avoid to re-take a blurry pic
- different point for exposure and focus will allow you to get detail in black objects but still having them in focus
- Cropping will improve the end resul and it makes sence to do it now, at capture time, when the user is at it (otherwise you'd have to reprocess the pictures)
- pinch zooming the captured image will allow to check sharpness, better now than on the desk, when your subject went away
- basic light adjustment, will allow to avoid to retake a shot by bumping up or down the luminisoity
- setting the quality programatically is a 100% Filemaker feature that is necesseray to assure data quality, otherwise you've to tell your user "oh, and be careffull about that setting"
All those settings are best to do at the capture time, because they help effecient capture, and the'yre best done by the guy that has the real life object in front of him, because he's already at it and he's the more competent to juge if the pic reflects the reality.
They bellong here in FM Go, for pure worflow reason. Filemaker can avoid licensing and do those feature itself, but some kid in their room do it, so I musn't be expensive to grab one dev from the app store.
Some 100% Filemaker controls :
- Hanving the ability to force image capture only. So user can't take from camera roll, but it's also a productivity feature because it would directly go in capture mode hence saving the user to choose for image capture each time. When you have many picture to take it's very annoying to constantly re-chose the capture mode.
I mean we need to be able to specify the import type programatically, so force a signature etc.
- Forcing the user to take the picture vertically or horizontally
- Perhaps we need a capture scipt steps that will launch the caputre module with specified option (the method of go to field and enter a container field is a bit akward, not newbie friendly and doesn't seem to allox us to do those settings)
Yes the ability to specify what kind of input goes into a container in FMGo will allow much more professional solutions. Also being able to specify the resolution will allow software developers to control the file size and through that network performance.
I have a solution that requires signatures but instead the user can select to take a photo or even insert a previously captured signature from the library.