4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 25, 2012 5:48 AM by datastride

Better UTF Export controls

dougalder

Two recent blogs highlight the issues that FileMaker Pro currently has with exporting text files for many common web uses.

UTF, WTF! Writing HTML and JSON from FileMaker 

http://hbase.net/2012/09/05/how-to-get-useful-text-documents-exported-out-of-filemaker-for-the-internet-export-utf-8-vs-utf-16/

"UTF-8 has become the dominant character encoding for the World-Wide Web, accounting for more than half of all Web pages. The Internet Engineering Task Force requires all Internet protocols to identify the encoding used for character data, and the supported character encodings must include UTF-8." That definitely seems like it might be something you would want to be able to export to.

The fact that FileMaker Pro does not support the UTF-8 standard fully and still offers only the option of OS 9 Carriage Returns, is disappointing in this web-oriented age. We remain hopeful that this situation will improve."

An In-Depth Look at “Export Field Contents”

http://www.filemakerhacks.com/?p=6045

In this blog, Beverly Voth, an expert in XSLT, goes to elaborate lengths, just to get a UTF-8 text file out of FileMaker. FM Developers should not have to use an XML export, tied to an XSLT transformation, (as well as exporting a file from a container field, just to avoid FileMaker Pro mangling that file) to achieve such a simple and necessary ability.

Do you agree that the Export Field Contents function having the ability to control export to UTF-8, complete with determining the appropriate line endings and BOMs would be a useful feature for FileMaker Pro in these days of the Internet?

• 1. Re: Better UTF Export controls
          intex

yes, absolutely right.

You can´t for example write a UTF8 ics calendar file for iCal without using a Plugin or XML.

• 2. Re: Better UTF Export controls
            jrenfrew

Great post Doug. Part of the need to take web interface and methods seriously series...

• 3. Re: Better UTF Export controls
              gombach

<<snip>>Do you agree that the Export Field Contents function having the ability to control export to UTF-8, complete with determining the appropriate line endings and BOMs would be a useful feature for FileMaker Pro in these days of the Internet?<<snip>>

YES YES YES ... and, oh, by the way, YES!

• 4. Re: Better UTF Export controls
                datastride

I long ago abandoned the native Export in favor of writing my own files via Troi File. Yes, this is a plug-in, but these days (for for years now) I find that every application I create needs at least one plug-in to handle some shortcoming or another. So I quit fighting for "all native" a long time ago. (I need to upload containers from a web site, I need to talk to a WSDL, I need to extract data from a PDF, I need to push data to Outlook or Address Book contacts or pull data from QuickBooks, I need context-senstitive pop-up menus to eliminate extra steps for the users ... the list goes on and one.)

If I were to lobby FileMaker for more "native" functionality, I would ask for functions that allow creating, reading, writing,renaming, copying, and moving non-database files. In other words, I would love to have built-in the functionality that Troi File (and a half dozen other excellentplug-ins) provide to interact with other real-world objects (files). That way, no matter how the web (and the world) evolve, we could always create interface files in the format needed.

Just my $.02 ...   ;-)