AnsweredAssumed Answered

"Save as PDF" crashes FMv12 on big files

Question asked by ocl on Sep 28, 2012
Latest reply on Oct 29, 2012 by tds

I am finding v12 carshes where v11 did not.

We are engineers and collect engineering data in FM and print pdf of many FM graphs on a layout. We may be running unusually large files with unusally large number of graphs. We run FM server advanced and have volume licence.

The databse I am running is 17Gb in stored size, and contains domestic house test results data (we record house parameters every 5 minutes such as temperature and humidity as part of our experiment). The layout we are printing contains about 6 graphs and each graph has about 6 lines on it. Each line represents a desired parameter (such as temperature) data and we are printing the last 3 days worth of data. The databases sorts by time (many parameters have a years worth of data stored) and usess relationships to "find" the last 3 days worth of experiemntal data and then graphs these last 3 days worth. So it does do a lot of sorting and data selection before printing the graph and so I assume FM never tested at this level of hard work (?)

In FMv11 it worked fine doing "save as pdf" but took 8 hours to print the 200 pages. In v12 it is worse. I have done several experimental runs and found it will print only about 20 pages, but above that and FM crashes. Typical crash report states:

"Communication with host interruppted..all databases will be closed"

or

"fileXYZ could not be created on the disk. Use differnet name, make more room on disk..unlock disc"

Because of teh last error report I have tidied teh disc and it has over 100GB of space. Server is Windows 2008, 64 bit, 8GB RAM, 2.33 GHz Intel, Service pack 2.

The crashes reported above were running the "save as PDF" on a client accessing the host server on local network. I originally ran locally on the server and that crashed too. I have tried printing to adobe PDF and that crashed too.

I have spent weeks and weeks on this and am dissapointed that we pay for volume licence and our most important function on FM does not work on v12.

I think its a bug which needs an update but perhaps you can help?

Thank you

Outcomes