I have a tutoring client who has a system written several years ago in FileMaker 5.5. A contractor developed some very sophisticated scripts and relationships for the time, but we have encountered a number of problems trying to test the system after all the files have been converted to FileMaker 11. I handled the conversion on my Mac laptop running FM 11 Advanced, but the solution is running on Windows machines that are virtualized and running off of FileMaker Server 11. The majority of the system runs as expected but we have discovered a number of scripts that did not get converted correctly.
While I have been using FileMaker since version 3, I haven't worked with anything as old as FM 5.5 for at least 10 years. I'm currently using FM 12 Advanced for my own work, and am supporting two tutoring clients using FM 11. Here are my questions:
1. Is there anything like an Advanced version of FM 5.5 or 6 that we could use for tracing scripts on the production environment?
2. Is there a document that summarizes the things that don't convert from FM 5.5 to FM 7 (assuming that conversion to FM 11 would have the same problems)?
3. Are there any tools available for comparing scripts across versions?
4. Are there any sources of older versions of FileMaker? I have a copy of FM 6 and a license, but no longer have a computer that is old enough to run it, as I think it was a MacOS disc rather than a disc for both Windowns and MacOS.
5. Might there be bigger things we are missing than missing script steps? I've done conversion of a larger FM 6 system to FM 7 but wrote the original system for the client myself, starting with FM 3. I don't recall glitches at all but the conversion was done at least 10 years ago, maybe more. The client I am supporting is a non-profit with a modest IT department but no FM experience. They also have no budget for a rewrite, and the customer is satisfied with the older system, though they realize it needs to be updated. I don't want to send them on a wild goose chase but do want to help them solve their problems.
Any memories of conversion problems from FM 6 to FM 7/11 would be appreciated. If we know where to look, we can probably get the system running like it does in production, so they can move to a new architecture. We'll worry about migrating to FM 12 after that.