6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 1, 2012 2:04 PM by Jason_Farnsworth

Sorting/Filtering Portals

Jason_Farnsworth

Currently I have a portal that is being filtered by customer - Only shows jobs for that one customer - works great.

However I would like to sort the data by a value-list that I have. I am not connecting the dots on this for some reason.

Do I add a global Field and assign and have the value list as a drop down menu?

I am not real sure how to relate that global field into a sort order for the portal. Or is there a simpler way to go about it?

Any help would be great,

Jason Farnsworth

Midland, Tx

• 1. Re: Sorting/Filtering Portals
          comment

Jason_Farnsworth wrote:

I would like to sort the data by a value-list that I have.

I am not sure I understand your requirement. A portal can only be sorted by a field (or several fields). Once you have selected the field to sort by, you can set the sort order to be based on a custom value list.

For example. if you are sorting by a Month text field, you can set it to sort by a custom value list = "January¶February¶March¶...".

• 2. Re: Sorting/Filtering Portals
            Jason_Farnsworth

Michael,

Thank you for replying again,

I understand the sort by value list and also sort by a customer value list,

I guess a better way of asking the question is,

Is there a way to dynamically re-sort the data?

If I have 100 jobs and 10 of them are "A", 30 of the "B", 5 of the "C", 50 of them "D", and 5 of them "E".

How can I sort one time by "A" the next time by "E" without having to go into the portal setup? Just a selection on the layout

Jason Farnsworth

Midland, Tx

• 3. Re: Sorting/Filtering Portals
              comment

Jason_Farnsworth wrote:

If I have 100 jobs and 10 of them are "A", 30 of the "B", 5 of the "C", 50 of them "D", and 5 of them "E".

How can I sort one time by "A" the next time by "E"

Sorry, that makes no sense to me. Perhaps you mean "filter" instead of "sort"? Sorting only affects the order by which the records are dispayed.

• 4. Re: Sorting/Filtering Portals
                Jason_Farnsworth

Michael,

Sorry, I guess that learning how to ask the question is just as important as content of the question.

Portal.PNG

Here is the portal that I would like to sort - Currently it is Filtered by CusID only shows one customer, (Nevermind the two Company names the name phyically changed in the midst) It is also sorted by Job Status JIP, Ready to Ship, Invoicing, Code and Complete and is done by a value list.

What I would like is to change the sort order. If I wanted to sort all the jobs that are "code" at the top of the list rather than "JIP".

Is that possible?

Jason Farnsworth,

Midland, TX

• 5. Re: Sorting/Filtering Portals
                  comment

It would be very easy to filter the portal, so that only Jobs of the selected status are showing. It's not so easy to sort the same portal using a different custom value list - and that's what it would take to make the required change.

If you need this very much, consider having several portals in several panes of a control tab - with each portal sorted using its own custom value list. Then you can simulate changing the sort order by switching to another pane - see a similar example here:

http://fmforums.com/forum/topic/65794-portal-sorting-techniques/

• 6. Re: Sorting/Filtering Portals
                    Jason_Farnsworth

Michael,

Ok,

I think I have gotten my head around this now. I have added the additinal filter which only shows the selected status. (I added a new field on the layout)Portal1.PNG

I guess that in my mind I still wanted all of them in the portal just sorted differently. Doing it this way seems to serve the purpose.

Thank you for your help,

Jason Farnsworth

Midland, TX