5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 2, 2012 10:07 AM by comment

12 Charting with Fields

nickchapin

Hi All:

I have a client that has data that I can't seem to chart. In each row there are 19 fields (95, 90, 85,...5 ) with numerical data in each column. Each row is related to a parent (six chilrdren max). In the parent table I need to graph on the y-axis (vertical) the data for the 19 fields for each child. Obviously we can't pick just one of the 19 fields, but rather need all 19. At first I was thinking that one could create a calc field with return-delimited data for each row that would have all 19 fields. That didn't seem to work. I've tried to simpify the situatin by ignoring the other children (as, I believe, these would just be additional series on the y-axis).

I like to think I'm fairly intelligent, but honestly most of my graphing has been with the google api and I seem to be stuck in the twelve chart thingy. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

To recap: y-axis needs data from one record but 19 fields. This will be a line chart.

TIA!

Nick

• 1. Re: 12 Charting with Fields
          comment

Nick Chapin wrote:

To recap: y-axis needs data from one record but 19 fields. This will be a line chart.

That's not quite clear. Do you mean each record would draw a line with 19 "ticks" along the x-axis?

Nick Chapin wrote:

Hi All:

simpify the situatin by ignoring the other children (as, I believe, these would just be additional series on the y-axis).

I am not at all sure that will be a simple task. You didn't say what the data represents, but it seems safe to say that you should have an individual record for each value (i.e. 19 times more records and 18 fields less than what you have now).

• 2. Re: 12 Charting with Fields
            nickchapin

I agree, Michael, the data model isn't correct; ideally there would be 19 records instead of 19 fields, but the client doesn't want to change that for a variety of reasons.

Actualy, since the data (a numerical range from 10k to 100k ) sits along the y-axis, the 19 ticks would range vertically with the data and horizontally with the 19 fields (95, 90, etc). But in essence you've got the challenge correct. So, how does one get data from fields in one record to range in a line chart?

Thanks!

• 3. Re: 12 Charting with Fields
              comment

Well, if I understood your explanation correctly, producing the chart for a single record would be fairly trivial (see attached). Including additional series for more records would not.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: 12 Charting with Fields
                nickchapin

So, I did finally get this to work. For anyone interested in how I've attached the file.

In essence, I cheated by creating a distinct relationship for each child. This works for this client as, according to their business rules, they will never have more than six children. If this were not the case this solution would become unwieldy and another would need to be sought.

Thanks, Michael, for your input!

• 5. Re: 12 Charting with Fields
                  comment

Nick Chapin wrote:

I cheated by creating a distinct relationship for each child.

Sin begets sin...