6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 3, 2012 6:23 PM by Lemmtech

Server 11 and 12 on same machine?

KenShick

I want to install Server 12 on the same machine with Server 11 because I want to do some benchmark testing. My first attempt to install Server 12 failed because it wanted me to update Server 11. Is there a way that I can have both servers on the same machine?

• 1. Re: Server 11 and 12 on same machine?
          MattLeach

Cannot be done, You can have multiple version of FileMaker Pro on the same machine but not FileMaker Server. Not only will you have the above issue but they also use the same ports.

• 2. Re: Server 11 and 12 on same machine?

Hi Kes,

If you had a separate Startup HD (or separate partitions on the one HD) you could have FMS 11 on one and FMS 12 on the other. You would still have to reboot into the other startup sytem to make the comparison.   

For benchmark testing, however, you wouldn't want to be comparing one version on a startup HD connected via a Firewire cable and the other running off an internal HD.

How serious is your need for the benchmarks? The setup I'm suggesting is not a trivial exercise and that is why I question your need for that information.

Regards,

John

• 3. Re: Server 11 and 12 on same machine?
              KenShick

Thank you John. That settles that. I need to do benchmark testing before I convert to Server 12. My client is a call center with many reps. They are having slowness issues both with backups and with running reports. Reports that gather data from every record in the campaign they are running. They can't run reports during the day because the reps get cofffe cups.

• 4. Re: Server 11 and 12 on same machine?
                KenShick

Matt and John, It's been a conundrum. They can't run reports during the day because the reps get coffee cups. And they can't run backups during the day because of the same problem, the coffee cups. They could run reports off a backup which they can't get. So the entire operation has to wait until shut down to pull reports and run a backup.

• 5. Re: Server 11 and 12 on same machine?

Hi Kes,

From what you tell us about the task, I believe the multi-threaded architecture of FMS 12 should give you a performance boost, provided that you have a multi-cored CPU that can take advantage of the FMS 12 architecture.

Regards,

John

• 6. Re: Server 11 and 12 on same machine?
                    Lemmtech

I really doubt 12 will solve your speed issues but I suppose it's worth a try. No report should create a "coffe cup" slow down if it is then the report is not created properly. You can search through millions of records on not see slow downs unless you are trying to sumarize thousands of records at once. I'd look into trying to optimize their reporting with a different approach rathter then thinking 12 is a magic solution to this sort of issue. Good luck.