3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2012 9:54 AM by beverly

Whats wrong with this ODBC import query?

Oliver_Reid

Query

SELECT "zips"."a_rec_id", "zips"."aa_county_id", "zips"."b_city", "zips"."County Name", "zips"."County Population", "zips"."State Abbreviation", "zips"."State Name", "zips"."Zip Code"

FROM "zips"

WHERE "zips"."State Abbreviation" IN (CT,NY, NJ)

Error

ODBC Error: [FileMaker][FileMaker] FQL0007/(1:235): The column named "CT" does not exist in any table in the column reference's scope.

What is the correct typography for using IN with a literal list?

• 1. Re: Whats wrong with this ODBC import query?
          beverly

IN ( 'CT','NY','NJ' )

only numbers are not quoted.

SELECT "zips"."a_rec_id", "zips"."aa_county_id", "zips"."b_city", "zips"."County Name", "zips"."County Population", "zips"."State Abbreviation", "zips"."State Name", "zips"."Zip Code"

FROM "zips"

WHERE "zips"."State Abbreviation"  IN (CT,NY, NJ)

• 2. Re: Whats wrong with this ODBC import query?
            Oliver_Reid

So fields are double quoted (whne needed) and strings are single quoted?

Is this standard for SQL or just FMQL?

• 3. Re: Whats wrong with this ODBC import query?
              beverly

Standard SQL, AFAIK. Since I mostly control the SQL and FileMaker creation, the field and tables names don't need to be double-quoted.

In your queries, only fields & tables that would not conform would need to be quoted for ExecuteSQL(). Examples:

table."Last Name", table.lastName, table.name_last, "my table".lastName, table."_kp_contact_ID", "2nd_table"."odd field Name|"

But you are asking for "literals" in the WHERE clause, so they need to be single quoted. If you have a single quote in your search term, you double the singleQuote:

WHERE "my table".name_last = 'O''Brian' // single quote escaped with another single quote

OR "my table".name_last = 'OBrian' // in case there is no apostrophe

Beverly

p.s. one more time for those who missed the FMP help topic (it's been around awhile!) on naming

http://www.filemaker.com/12help/html/create_db.8.9.html