8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2012 12:38 PM by briancrockett

Container Images are Fuzzy

nrgsoft

Since upgrading to v12, images printed from a container with reduce image to fit/maintain proportions are printing fuzzy. I have tried both PNG and GIF images and have the same results.

Is anyone else seeing this?

• 1. Re: Container Images are Fuzzy
          DavidZakary

As a test, try putting the images directly on the layout rather than in a container field. Print it and see if there is any difference. There has been a lot of discussion here about FileMaker 12 printing a low-res thumbnail rather than the full resolution image.

• 2. Re: Container Images are Fuzzy
            nrgsoft

Yeah.

So it prints nice if dropped on the layout. The image, regardless of container settings for reduce to fit, crop, etc. prints fuzzy.

Nice.

• 3. Re: Container Images are Fuzzy
              Mike_Mitchell

If you turn off thumbnails under Manage > Containers, you'll see the images at full resolution.

HTH

Mike

• 4. Re: Container Images are Fuzzy
                nrgsoft

Ty, that resolves the issue.

• 5. Re: Container Images are Fuzzy
                  BowdenData

If you turn off thumbnails under Manage > Containers, you'll see the images at full resolution.

Not a definite fix, but does work for some. In one system, printing was still very hit or miss with this. The same system under FMP11 printed consistently well.

The contents of the containers are black and white, line-art type images. The originals are in Adobe Illustrator and saved as PNG's with proper sizing and resolution.

I am printing to an industrial label printer under Windows. No change to the PC or print drivers on the PC, since moving to FMP12. We did look at different drivers after the FMP12 issues, but we are running the current ones (and have been for awhile).

If I put the image directly on the layout, it does print consistently well under FMP12. I bit of a hassle, but not a show stopper.

HTH.

Doug

• 6. Re: Container Images are Fuzzy
                    briancrockett

Having this same problem with the webviewer. Prints or PDF's created from a layout with a web viewer show the webviewer part as fuzzy.

Also PDF images embedded in a layout print fuzzy as well.

This was all fine in 11

• 7. Re: Container Images are Fuzzy
                      Stephen Huston

It all changed with 12 and the new implementation of thumbnails generated for the screen. The trick is to make sure that when you print or do PDF output, you are not relying on screen thumbnail objects on the layout. That is why placing the image directly on the layout rather than in a container solves some of these problems, and turning off thumbnails solves some.

There are also some tricks one can do by creating layouts in larger sizes being printed to reduced page settings, and others using the container calculation functions, but these are all work arounds. This was one of the issues that the 12v3 update was supposed to address, but I've not had time to test how it resolves the printed thumbnail problems, and the v3 update introduced some portal line issues which have some users rolling back to earlier revs of 12.

• 8. Re: Container Images are Fuzzy
                        briancrockett

Thanks, I'll play around around with the layouts as you suggested.

In the meantime here's a video on how to fix the portal line problem. 

http://youtu.be/-GZoYkZP-KA

We had this issue and my partner said this worked for him.