1 Reply Latest reply on Oct 10, 2012 5:32 AM by mikebeargie

under the hood Does FMServer cache portal sort orders?

DrewTenenholz

All --

I'm noticing some improved performance with FM12 Server, and would like to confirm my understanding of what is happening.

When navigating to a layout that shows a portal for a customer that has 500+ related records sorted by date (descending), I can see an initial pause with the FM dialog 'Sorting Records...' that finally resolves and displays the appropriate records.

If I go to a different customer and come back to the first one, then there is no delay in the display and no dialog. Even more interesting, when I use another workstation to go to the same initial customer record, the portal is also instantaneous.

From this behavior, it seems that FMServer is managing to cache the portal records and their sort order for itself and display that to any client machine that calls for it. Can anyone confirm that this is really happening. I'm not complaining about the increase in speed, but I'd like to know why it does, and more importantly, if FileMaker is going to continue to perform this way in the future.

-- Drew Tenenholz