9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2012 1:46 PM by taylorsharpe

Button to run script

nella

Hi all,

We will be doing a % price increase at our company and I need a little help with a script that will run from a button.

I have a field which contains the existing product price.

I created a field dropdown list which contains different percentages such as .01, .02 etc.

I created a button to run the calculation.

So, I need to have the updated price appear in the price field when I choose the percentage and click the button.

I also would like the text color to change in the price field when the price has been updated.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Button to run script
          taylorsharpe

The answer is more than just a script, but includes the layout because you have to have the value list and a script trigger for modifying the percentage field.  If you'll give me your email, I'll send you a file with all of this in it or you can email me at Taylor@TaylorMadeServices.com

• 2. Re: Button to run script
            nella

Thank you, Taylor.

Well it seems that our decision makers have changed their minds on how our price increase is going to work. Now there will be a 4% price increase across the board.

So as a test, I made a field called price increase (in red) as a calculation which will take the existing price, multiply by 4% and deliver a total. Price increase= price * .04 + price

The issue I’m having is with new products and their prices.

Price Increase.jpg

• 3. Re: Button to run script
              comment

nella wrote:

a calculation which will take the existing price, multiply by 4% and deliver a total. P

What will you do at the next price increase?

• 4. Re: Button to run script
                nella

Hi Michael,

Yes, it is just not working and more complicated than I thought.

I have a headache. LOL.

• 5. Re: Button to run script
                  taylorsharpe

Do you need to keep track of previous prices?  If not, show all records and just loop through and SetFIeld [ Price ] = 1.04 * Price. 

• 6. Re: Button to run script
                    comment

That's exactly the question to ask here: do you want each product to have a history of its prices? If yes, you will need to add a table for them.

---

Or perhaps you want to keep only the last price before the current one?

Message was edited by: Michael Horak

• 7. Re: Button to run script
                      nella

My manager tells me that we only need the one previous price. So, I used my original 'Price increase= price * .04 + price' calculation then changed the field back to a number/currency field. That seems to work and keeps the previous price intact.

What do you think, am I safe?

• 8. Re: Button to run script
                        comment

You are safe for now. For the future, price changes are a fairly frequent affair and should be in the user domain, without requiring the intervention of the developer (IMHO, there should also be a DateOfEffect field, at least for the current price). All this can be scripted, though it would require some work - esp. if you want to give users the option to raise prices across the board as well as individually.

• 9. Re: Button to run script
                          taylorsharpe

What I have done for customers is created a related table that has the price changes sorted decending by date so that the relationship always shows the latest price change in a one to many relationship.  That works pretty well and keeps a history.