2 Replies Latest reply on Oct 8, 2012 12:07 PM by sporobolus

Setting application preferences by script

ghoffman

I would like to set the FilemakerPro application preference to not check for new updates or versions. I know this can be set by AutoInstall settings upon installation, but I'd like to set these preferences via Filemaker script action. Is that possible? If this preference is stored in the host somewhere, can I set it via an external script?

Inquiring developers want to know.

Thanks,

Gary

• 1. Re: Setting application preferences by script
          wimdecorte

On Windows, it's stored in the registry so you can use a Windows logon script to set the preference.  On OSX it would be in a plist somewhere and that makes it harder to set.

• 2. Re: Setting application preferences by script
            sporobolus

on 2012-10-07 10:45 wimdecorte wrote

On OSX it would be in a plist somewhere and that makes it harder to set.

properties in plists are easily set from the shell with the defaults command;

you need to know the reverse domain for the app as well as the name of the

key(s) you want to set

for 12 Advanced, the domain is com.filemaker.client.advanced12 (found by

looking through ~/Library/Preferences)

knowing that, you can see all the data in the plist with this command:

defaults read com.filemaker.client.advanced12

these two keys look like the update and version checks dates:

Update Notification:CheckDate

New Version Notification:CheckDate

you'll need to figure out how the date values are stored, but this is how you'd

read one of the values

defaults read com.filemaker.client.advanced12 "Update Notification:CheckDate"

result on my machine: -862570317

and this is how you'd change it (only write when the app is not running, else

the values may be rewritten as FileMaker quits):

defaults write com.filemaker.client.advanced12 "Update Notification:CheckDate"