3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2012 5:22 AM by PeterWindle

Converting the Geo Code

PeterWindle

Hello all,

I am needing to use the location in a filemaker Go solution.

I would like to convert the geo code to an address for storage inside FileMaker, does anyone know of how to do this?

• 1. Re: Converting the Geo Code
          jbante

The process of getting an arbitrary address from geo coordinates is called "reverse geocoding." Google it, and most of the links you'll find basically tell you to ask a web service to do the look-up for you. Know that geocoding can be inexact, so your results may not be 100% correct.

I'm working on a solution right now where I have to find the address for a set of coordinates, but only from a list of known addresses. I found the coordinates for all the addresses in advance using non-reverse (forward?) geocoding (i.e., asking Google Maps where these places are). When the user needs to associate a photo with an address, they tap a location icon, which launches a script that uses the Location() function as the basis for a "geobox" find for addresses near that location; the user then selects the correct address. I don't know if that approach might be useful for your particular application, but I thought it might be for someone who finds this thread in the future.

• 2. Re: Converting the Geo Code
            ThomasKunetz

Hi Peter,

You should have a look at the Contacts Starter Solution of FileMaker Pro 12.

You'll find 2 scripts that will do the trick :

Find my location | Get GPS Coordinates

And

Get Reverse Geocoding Work Address | iOS

You'll also need a few Custom Functions available in the template as well.

If you do not want to use Google, you can also have a look at http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org

Tom.

• 3. Re: Converting the Geo Code
              PeterWindle

getxmlchunk

gotta love that!

that's breakfast for databases!