7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2012 8:55 AM by KenShick

Server 11.0v3 backups cause slowdowns, coffee cups, and lockups

KenShick

Server Experts I have two vexing problems that are related for which I need the wisdom of your experience. I got some valuable answers from this forum on benchmark testing but I think I need to separate these problems out. Problem (1): My client runs call centers. 10 reps in a call center may be equivalent to 30 or 50 reps on other applications because the rep is entering data and flipping layouts continually throughout her shift. The problem is that during scheduled backups the reps get coffee cups and may lockup completely. The problem happens even when there are only a few reps online. So my client has discontinued hourly backups and scheduled a “single” backup at the end of the day which is not ideal if there is a system crash during the day.

Questions: Is this slowdown typical with Server 11 backups? Are there Server 11 solutions? Then, before we jump into an upgrade to Server 12 we need to know from your experience if Server 12 progressive backups will solve this problem? I don't want to promise what I can't deliver; this is a big piece of business for my client. They have to solve the prolem ASAP or they may lose the business.

Or alternatively should we look at external solutions to backups?

• 1. Re: Server 11.0v3 backups cause slowdowns, coffee cups, and lockups
          wimdecorte

Same answer: it doesn't seem that the hardware is up to snuff.  Backups are taxing on the server but in a good deployment it should not affect the users.  How big are the files?  What hardware do you use?

• 2. Re: Server 11.0v3 backups cause slowdowns, coffee cups, and lockups
            CarstenLevin

Hi Kes,

Could you give som extra information:

• How many files.
            • Size of the files (sum)
            • Size of the largest files (MB/GB for each)
            • Did you turn Verify Backup Integrety on?
            • Computer - OS, GHz, amount of RAM, 64 or 32 bit (PC).
            • Disk system, bus, disk type how large, how fast. Do you have a fair amount of free space on the disk?

Skærmbillede 2012-10-08 kl. 18.38.44.png

My first advice: If the backup is to slow, turn "Verify Backup Integrity" of for the backups running each hour. Make a verified backup before the workday, during lunch break and in the evening ... or at some other time according to your schedule.

But if the computer is well configured backup should not cause problems.

Best regards

Carsten

• 3. Re: Server 11.0v3 backups cause slowdowns, coffee cups, and lockups
              KenShick

Thanks Carsten, got the info.

How big are the files?  Can you specify what kind of hardware and OS you're running?

10 FP7 files, the largest are:

1,349,744 KB

857,720KB

238,100 KB

322,440 KB

Hardware and Software Platform:

MS Windows 2003 Standard, SP2, 32-bit

Dell Poweredge 2950

1. 16.0Gb RAM (only 4 register w/ Windows 2003 32-bit)

(2) Xeon E5430 Processors, Quad Core

Drive C: 67.7 Gb, 48.0 Free

Drive G: 122.0Gb, 111.0 Free

Drive H: 286.0Gb, 238.0 Free

Verify Backup Integrity = On

What do think Carsten? Not too many files? Hardware and software platform pretty good?

But your idea about turning off Backup Integrity seems worth a trial. Do you think that is where we should begin.?

Finally, when we have hourly or periodic backups what is your recommendation for reporting. Should we pull a copy of the backup to a desktop to do reporting with FM Pro?

-Ken

• 4. Re: Server 11.0v3 backups cause slowdowns, coffee cups, and lockups
                CarstenLevin

Hi Kes,

The backup problem

Yes: Set the backup schedules running during the day to Verify Backup Integrity = Off

This should solve or minimize your problem at once.

But at the same time you should create a backup schedule running during the evening/night set to Verify Backup Integrity = On

Your hw and sw setup seems to be OK and it is absolutely correct to run with 32 bit with FileMaker 11. For FileMaker 12 I would recommend 64 bit.

Reporting

I would consider finding a solution to do the reporting online instead of taking a copy offline. It would be a good idea to isolate why the generation of reports is so slow.

In the meantime you can of course do the reporting with off-line copies of the database.

Best regards

Carsten

Ps. FileMaker Server 12 will be a lot faster than 11 for most tasks. You should of course consider upgrading to FileMaker 12 within the next 1-6 months.

• 5. Re: Server 11.0v3 backups cause slowdowns, coffee cups, and lockups
                  KenShick

Thank you Carsten. We are going to try running backups without "backup integrity on." Then later we will look to converting to FM Server 12.

• 6. Re: Server 11.0v3 backups cause slowdowns, coffee cups, and lockups
                    CarstenLevin

Sounds good. I would suggest that you take the first step (disable the integrity check) and then start testing your solution with a test conversion to FileMaker 12 later this year.

Could you report back, whether the problem is solved or at least minimized by disabling?

Best regards

Carsten

• 7. Re: Server 11.0v3 backups cause slowdowns, coffee cups, and lockups
                      KenShick

Carsten, I will be happy to give you the results. -Ken