3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2012 10:24 AM by psijmons

Send via SMTP:  results capture?

BTimm

I'm in the process of converting a lot of old plugin send steps to using the native SMTP send step. One thing I'm not sure about is whether it is possible to capture the SMTP server results from the script step. Is there a function custom or otherwise I'm missing?

Also, I've read some things in the archive about issues with using Name <email> format in the To value. This was fine with our plugin but is it still an issue in native step? I haven't come across any problems with it yet, and wondering whether it's a legacy issue at this point.

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Send via SMTP:  results capture?
          BowdenData

possible to capture the SMTP server results from the script step. Is there a function custom or otherwise I'm missing?

Also, I've read some things in the archive about issues with using Name <email> format in the To value. This was fine with our plugin but is it still an issue in native step?

Hi,

Use regular FM error capture technique immediately after the "Send Mail" script step. If you look in the list of FM error codes, you will see a handful of specific SMTP return codes in the number range of 15nn.

I don't know if this has specifically been address in FMP12 or not, but my experience is that you just need to test it out. I have seen where the type/version of the SMTP server being used can make a difference.

HTH.

Doug

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Send via SMTP:  results capture?
            BTimm

Thanks. I thought about error capture but I'm also looking to log server result for cases where this is no error.  Or trigger user message based on confirm of no-error send event.  If isempty ($error) etc etc. could work.

My current practice actually is just using email in the To: but I'll need to test whether using name <email> causes error. I do use that format in the Reply-To value but it doesn't seem to be causing any issue.

• 3. Re: Send via SMTP:  results capture?
              psijmons

The send step will give Error =0 when all worked. You can use that to set a confirmation for the user or create a log record in your db.