3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2012 6:40 PM by LyndsayHowarth

Sliding up fails with multiple break fields?

Malcolm

I noticed this problem before but have always managed to work around it. Today I'm stuck.

I have a report that has two break fields, client and date. The body part displays two fields, both may contain long sections of text, many paragraphs.

I've created a subsummary report with two subsummary parts and a very long body part to accomodate the two long text fields. Both fields are set to slide up and to reduce the size of the enclosing part. All parts are set to break across page boundaries.

When I sort by client alone sliding and printing works nicely. All text slides up to use the available space on the page.

When I sort by date each date begins on a new page. "page break before each occurrence" is not turned on.

When I sort by client and date, I see the same behaviour as for the date sort, there is a page break before each date.

If I reduce the size of the body part to be approx a third of the page height I see that the subsummary part is often pushed onto the next page.

I created new layouts and the problem persists.

all suggestions welcome.

• 1. Re: Sliding up fails with multiple break fields?
          LyndsayHowarth

HI Malcolm,

Some random thoughts...

This is all to do with the big fields and their surrounding space... such that the date SS part thinks there is not enough room left. Evaluate the space above and between the sliding objects and add them together. ALso consider there may be extra returns in the text etc. Add it all up with the headers and footers and you will end up with much less space available.

I suggest you put an object like a horizontal line in below the text field but almost touching it and set it to slide... I am pretty sure you can make it non-printing. It could also obviously have no line colour or width.

It is also trying to 'keep with next' I think... so perhaps allow the part to break?

Make sure everything below is sliding too :-)

Also... assuming it is v12... are there objects on the pasteboard - which I don't think is a problem in 12 but haven't tested - so they may need to slide. Are there any objects hanging over / overlapping the pasteboard... ?

If you want to send a screenshot(s) of the layout I'll see if I can spot anything.

HTH

-Lyndsay

• 2. Re: Sliding up fails with multiple break fields?
            Malcolm

This is all to do with the big fields and their surrounding space... =

such that the date SS part thinks there is not enough room left. =

Evaluate the space above and between the sliding objects and add them =

together. ALso consider there may be extra returns in the text etc. Add =

it all up with the headers and footers and you will end up with much =

less space available.

These are long text fields. The text would often flow over one page, =

which makes the need to have the parts split over a page even =

more important.

The body text will split, that works. What annoys me is that the =

subsummary part does not begin immediately beneath the preceding body. =

It always begins on a new page, leaving big gaps.  It is especially =

annoying when there is obviously sufficient space for the following =

subsummary part and body text, sometimes for the next two, yet they =

occur on separate pages.=20

It acts so much like "begin each occurrence on a new page" that I =

suspected a bug and created a new file to test. The results are the =

same. :-(

I suggest you put an object like a horizontal line in below the text =

field but almost touching it and set it to slide... I am pretty sure you =

can make it non-printing. It could also obviously have no line colour or =

width.

I've tried that without seeing any change.

thanks

Malcolm

• 3. Re: Sliding up fails with multiple break fields?
              LyndsayHowarth

I've struggled with this sort of thing SOOOO many times. It is always do-able but finding the thing that is causing the problem can be tedious.

Sometimes it is the gaps between objects above that are being miss-calculated. I know once I had 2 objects with about a pixel between which when I made the object touch closed up the space... Header or footer objects slightly overlapping the divider. Have you tried a 'select all' and slide up...

Sometimes I take a different approach and create several field objects... one for each potential page and use variables/ calcs to split text up.

Go to the beach... it might work after that!

- Lyndsay