7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 10, 2012 5:35 PM by ch0c0halic

Performance increase with dual NICs

jimmydburrell

If I set up a FileMaker Server box with dual NICs, separate IP addresses and DNS entries that point both IP addresses to the name of the FileMaker Server should I expect a performance increase with respect to network access and through put?

For example:

FM Server name: FMServer1

NIC 1 IP address = 192.168.1.100

NIC 2 IP address = 192.168.1.101

DNS entries

FMServer1 = 192.168.1.100

FMServer1 = 192.168.1.101

Thanks,

Jim...

• 1. Re: Performance increase with dual NICs
          ch0c0halic

On startup FMS binds to only a single NIC so all traffic will be thru that connection.

Can you bind the two NIC's into a single entity?

• 2. Re: Performance increase with dual NICs
            BruceHerbach

JIm,

This may depend on your network and setup.  I think one of the recommendations was to look at Network usage.  In windows you can do this with Performance Monitor and look at the network usage.  If it is high on the graph then adding a high performance nic to the system may be helpful.

I haven't looked at this in a long time,  but I was under the impression that there were dual Nics available that let you assign both connections to the same address.  You will have to do some research and see if this exists and if it is compatible with your server.   I'm fairly sure that you can't do this kind is setup just by adding a second standard Nic.

HTH

Bruce

• 3. Re: Performance increase with dual NICs
              jimmydburrell

Thanks for your response, ch0c0halic.

Not to doubt you, but it would appear from my testing that I can connect to my FM Server on two IP addresses/NICs simultaneously and open a different database via each connection.

Here are my actual network file path's for each:

fmnet:/192.168.1.156/database1

fmnet:/192.168.1.157/database2

And here is the output of netstat -an from my mac:

Active Internet connections (including servers)

Proto Recv-Q Send-Q  Local Address          Foreign Address        (state)   

tcp4       0      0  192.168.1.169.59021    192.168.1.156.5003     ESTABLISHED

tcp4       0      0  192.168.1.169.59014    192.168.1.157.5003     ESTABLISHED

I should have mentioned my FM Server is a Mac OS X Server v 10.6.

Am I just being fooled by what I'm seeing via netstat and the fmnet: statement which appear to work??

Thanks,

Jim...

• 4. Re: Performance increase with dual NICs
                jimmydburrell

Bruce,

Thanks for your response.

I am aware of the capability of Windows Server to bind two NICs to one address.  However, I am on a Mac Server, which I should've mentioned.  I am not aware of a way to do this on a Mac (OS X Server v10.6).

However, I seem to be having some success in my testing of this hypothesis.  See my response to ch0c0halic for details.

Thanks,

Jim...

• 5. Re: Performance increase with dual NICs
                  gdurniak

We have about 30 concurrent users on a Mac network, and performance was a little sluggish

So, our IT guy spent time adding dual NICs, with no performance gain

There are so many other limiting factors, the "bottleneck" will most likely be elsewhere

If you have the time, try it both ways and see for yourself

greg

> If I set up a FileMaker Server box with dual NICs, separate IP addresses and DNS entries that point both IP addresses to the name of the FileMaker Server should I expect a performance increase with respect to network access and through put?

• 6. Re: Performance increase with dual NICs
                    BruceHerbach

Jim,

What model server are you running? 

On the Mac Server run Activity monitor and watch the network stats. This should let you know if the Network is your bottleneck.  Other possibilities include , Unstored calculations ( can be hugh ),  slow/full disk system.

HTH
                    Bruce

• 7. Re: Performance increase with dual NICs
                      ch0c0halic

Sorry I didn't address this issue originally. I agree with "gdurniak". I'd check the network usage. My guess is with Gigabyte Ethernet you are not using all the bandwidth of even a single NIC. If you were on a WAN then Latency might be an issue. But if its all LAN then it shouldn't be a problem.

Hardware performance is usually limited by the Hard drive. Using an SSD would be my first suggestion.

Then more RAM.

Then a Faster/More Processor(s)

Then make sure you are using certified Gigabyte Ethernet Cabling

Check the Routers and Hubs for low Signal-to-noise ratios or bad connections

All of this assumes the problem is hardware and not database design. There are so many design related performance issues that it is possible for the fastest system in the world to still perform slowly. BTW conversion from FMP11 to 12 is not an automatic speed increase. The new design surface has made some layout designs slower.