7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2012 11:29 AM by skipjensen

What happens when the server disk gets full ( externally stored data)

skipjensen

I have no problem storing my external data on the server, but I wonder what happens when I run out of space. None of the posts and answers I have seen so far deal with this possibility. Can anyone point me in the right direction ?

• 1. Re: What happens when the server disk gets full ( externally stored data)
          taylorsharpe

I've had this happen.  Technically I think FileMaker sees this coming and at some point decides to make the files read-only just before running out of disk space.  When this has happened to me, you could still use the database to search and run reports so long as you were not making any changes.  Of course there are many things that start beeping as you run scripts and records/fields can't be populated.  But surprisingly, it did not corrupt any of the files.  Obviously this was a mistake and I don't recommend doing it.  But my FileMaker Server survived this situation without any problems other than the obvious of not being able to create or modify records. 

• 2. Re: What happens when the server disk gets full ( externally stored data)
            skipjensen

I guess this is my point. I want to archive files ongoing that we use regularly. Many are Graphic files and Vector PDFS for our production uses. If we run out of space, we can't just shut down, we need it to keep growing. Is this beyond the limits of what FMP should be used to do ? It seems if you could add more volumes to the path, it would solve the problem. Would it make sense ( as I really don't understand the technical issues) to install FMP Server on a RAID so you could keep adding volumes ?

• 3. Re: What happens when the server disk gets full ( externally stored data)
              taylorsharpe

Well, FileMaker software is not going to solve a lack of disk space.  I personally have been using Pegasus RAIDs over Thunderbolt for really fast connections with Mac Minis.  With that setup, you get 6 drives at 2TB each, do a RAID10 (works best for databases) and yields 6TB's of usable disk space.  But if you need more you can get into a SAN over Fiber Channel which you can have petabytes of data, but I really have yet to find a FileMaker person who's FileMaker solution fills up 6TB.  Check your FileMaker servers' data folder and let me know how big that folder is.  Remember, FileMaker can only host files on live serial connections like USB, Thunderbolt, or FireWire.  It CANNOT host a file over TCP/IP such as over Ethernet. 

FileMaker 12 lets you choose one internal volume and two external volumes for live data and that is it.  But if you are running tight on space, you can use a plugin for filemaker to manage exporting container fields and storing them in additional volumes elsewhere or in the cloud.  I personally use ScriptMaster since it is free, but there are other good ones from Dacons, Productive Computing and Troi. 

• 4. Re: What happens when the server disk gets full ( externally stored data)
                skipjensen

I don't need huge amounts of space as if I was doing video. I probably archive 1TB - 2TB a year of these types of files. I have two drives on my server ( which is new, so basically empty). I do not know how to utilize the additional drives except for the main one for external data storage as every attempt has failed. I feel like this is a managebale amount of data if I could figure out how to use them.

• 5. Re: What happens when the server disk gets full ( externally stored data)
                  sporobolus

on 2012-10-11 7:34 skipjensen wrote

I guess this is my point. I want to archive files ongoing that we use regularly. Many are Graphic files and Vector PDFS for our production uses. If we run out of space, we can't just shut down, we need it to keep growing. Is this beyond the limits of what FMP should be used to do ?

i haven't done it but FMS can use a SAN (Storage Area Network), and such

systems are designed to be expanded on the fly, and are suited to high

availability systems (as it sounds like you may have)

at a lower cost level, you could simply manage your storage like people do for

any other purpose — estimate what will be needed over a period of time (e.g. 1

year, 2 years, 5 years) and provide that much storage up front, then have a

plan for upgrading when the time comes (and monitor storage regularly to avoid

suprises); when you make your estimate, pad it in case of unexpected usage; if

you regularly update hardware, you could estimage storage needs for the same

period and you won't really be doing anything extra

of course, if you already have a peparedness plan in case primary storage

system fails, the same procedures could be used for your storage upgrade

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: What happens when the server disk gets full ( externally stored data)
                    taylorsharpe

Just go to the FM Admin Console, then in the left column, click on "Database Server" and then at the top, click the "Folders" tab.  That is where you designate additional volumes to store live FileMaker databases or their backups. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: What happens when the server disk gets full ( externally stored data)
                      skipjensen

Both of your answers (Steve and Taylor) have helped me tremendously. We are a small company and the cost of a SAN is not in the cards. But, being able to use the additional drives, and planning for the time when they fill up seems like the approach I should take. Who knows ? By the time I have to deal with it Filemaker 13 will solve the problem for me !

Thank you very much for taking the time to help-

Skip